British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sylvester

Roman coins

For over a year i've been edging closer to the abyss that is Ancient coins. And each time i edged dowards the sheer drop i never had the corage to take the plunge. Knowing that once i did so things might never quite be the same again. Then i finally jumped headlong into oblivion about a month ago.

First came Septimus Severus (AD 193-211) and his rather bizarre beard. A silver denarius minted around 200/1, depicting Jupiter upon the reverse.

902498.jpg

Then last week i got this, Antoninus Pius (138-161) silver denarius minted around 152/3 depicting Pax on the reverse.

903211.jpg

On saturday i went one better. Domitian (AD 91-96) silver denarius minted in about 91/2. Depicting Minverva on the reverse. Domitian was also incidentally the last of Suetonious' Twelve Caesars and he was part of the Flavian dynasty that managed to successfully install themselves as Emperors after the catastrophic events of the AD 69 succession disputes following the downfall of Nero in 68.

903683.jpg

And today i went and bought this; Severus Alexander (222-235) denarius minted around 232 depicting Annona on the reverse. Severus Alexander was involved in the downfall of the raving nutcase Emperor Elagabalus in 222.

903830.jpg

Wow! Top class start! I'm envious! :(

Great coins.....but have they been cleaned?

I suppose ancients is the one area where cleaning isn't so frowned upon and actually required.

Romans are a good area for collecting if you want quality ancients. They are abundant and consequentially cheap. There is a good chance that they haven't been cleaned as many finds are made in pots or jars and are frequently as struck or nearly so. Incuding original colours if the pot was sealed thus preventing water seeping in. If you can buy a coin in mint state or thereabouts that is nearly 2000 years old and which often costs less than £50, you can't really ask for much more.

To be honest Peter i'm not bothered if they have been cleaned. Cleaned coins of this era aren't really a problem, it's a fact of life. Like freckles and gingers, the two go hand in hand. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.

It wasn't a dig at your coins (excuse the expression)....I'll get me soft brass brush & olive oil out. B)

& gingers and was a stab in the dark (Or ought to be :D )

It wasn't a dig at your coins (excuse the expression)....I'll get me soft brass brush & olive oil out. B)

& gingers and was a stab in the dark (Or ought to be :D )

I never thought you were!

Mind you should you feel like it though, i wouldn't be that bothered. Nothing much bothers me.

Honestly though cleaned coins don't bother me all that much.

Less of the ginger remarks though! :D (i know i started it...) I'm not gingerist though, far from it... too far from it if truth be known.

My first proper lady put the "Ginger" into nuts.....more gingery than a Gingery thing !!!!

My pals!!!! and wife still remind me ...(even though she calls herself Strawberry Blonde)....bless though...she has just OKAYED

a reasonable coin purchase...she thought I wanted a new florin.....NOT.

Those are beauties!

One day I will follow you into that area of collecting, but not yet, first I have to decide to get rid of my actual collection, and it is so dificult to decide to part with it...

...........but have they been cleaned?

I suppose ancients is the one area where cleaning isn't so frowned upon and actually required.

Spot on! I can only think of early collectors (hoarders?) who would be the source for pristine early coinage. Any that were in use must accrue a lot of dirt and grease over the succeeding years, even lots more dirt if found in the earth. Any clean ancients must therefore have been cleaned at sometime! :lol:

I treat all ancients as cleaned.