British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

How long will it be before you can walk into a bookshop and see the following dictionaries on the shelf;

French English; English French

Spanish English; English Spanish

German English; English German

Italian English; English Italian

Latin English; English Latin

Chav English; English Chav

Imagine a page out of the Chav dictionary;

English - Chav

Am i? - Am A?

Are You? - R U?

Is It/he/she? - Innit?* Int he? Int she?

Are We - R We?

Are You - R U?

Are they - R They?

Verb = To be - 2 b

*Innit is also required where there is another verb in the sentence.

Do you sometimes worry?

Me Chav spk innit? (I speak Chav?)

D' U Spk Chav innit?** (Do you speak Chav?)

**Presence of question marks is not required, neither is punctuation. Grammar and word order is flexible, spelling is fixed however, the minimal being the correct and accepted way.

Nice 1 Syl M8.

2b or not 2b

dat is da ?....

Hamlet's diatribe in 21st century.

Edited by krasnaya_vityaz

Wot iz ths i c b4 me?

R'meo, o r'meo where the f*k r u?

Ah progress, alot to be said for progress. :D

Wot iz ths i c b4 me?

:lol: thats great...(dats gr8)

All dis iz goin 2 ma ed. I fink der r 2 mny chavz nawa days. Tell me wotz rong wiv dis wrld :blink:

I think I might just come back to this forum for a while, it is quite amazing the things that one can miss out on after taking a break from coinage.

Children! Children.! Decorum please! This is a serious achedemic site! :rolleyes:

I think I might just come back to this forum for a while, it is quite amazing the things that one can miss out on after taking a break from coinage.

That's very kind of you JMD, how humbled I feel.

Wot u sayn' am n't ac'dem'c, uh [innit]?

:D

Still you can't help worring that the language is going down hill. If any of those spellings make it into the dictionary (and lets face it the word Chav is now in the dictionary) it will mean they are then officially recognised (be it either formal or informal), language could get very complicated if that 'txt spk' ever takes off in a more formal way.

Accronyms are all the rage (and formal) and they are just as bad. I mean i won't stand in the way of an evolving language as long as evolving means it easier and more sensible and coherent, but i wouldn't call text speak any of those! :D

Some may call the new 'chav' language evolution :lol:

Evolution? Backwards! <_<

Wind, rewind, So shouldn't evolution be revolution? ;)

Watchout for the Chav revolution... coming to a high street near you!

More of an ethnic revolution on my road. :ph34r:

I used to think that Slough was full of chavs, but when I went to Uxbridge for the first time you couldn't exactly not see a chav at one moment in time.

Chavs are annoying on buses <_<

...and then theres goths! You know, those wierd ones that dress up in black (or pink in some cases :blink: ). But they ain't half as bad as chavs.

Britain is returning to a class based society i believe, which is probably a bad thing. Chav class, goth class, yuppie class... etc.

Wot iz ths i c b4 me?

Ok - as a self-appointed guardian of the English language I'm going to get very pedantic here. "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" doesn't mean "Where are you, Romeo?", it means "Why are you called Romeo?". Hence "What's in a name...".

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest, then write it out a hundred times.

Goddit?

G :D

Accronyms are all the rage (and formal) and they are just as bad. I mean i won't stand in the way of an evolving language as long as evolving means it easier and more sensible and coherent, but i wouldn't call text speak any of those! :D

...although I wasn't aware that the word "acronym" had evolved the point where it had acquired an extra "c"...

It's full moon - I'm on a pedant's roll here...

Guest Guest
[...although I wasn't aware that the word "acronym" had evolved the point where it had acquired an extra "c"...

It's full moon - I'm on a pedant's roll here...

Should it not be 'evolved to the point' or has the to been dropped to make it understandable to our text savvy members?

And that's why i don't get pedantic! Someone will pull you up Geoff.

My typing is my weakness. Must have caught the 'c' twice there. (I never re-read what i've typed anyhow!)

I hate Shakespeare anyhow. England's greatest writer? Rubbish... England's greatest plageriser.

Charles Dickens is probably a much better writer all round.

"Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" doesn't mean "Where are you, Romeo?", it means "Why are you called Romeo?". Hence "What's in a name...".

I wondered about saying that but thought better of it :P

Of course I noted it too. ;)

I hate Shakespeare anyhow. England's greatest writer? Rubbish... England's greatest plageriser.

Charles Dickens is probably a much better writer all round.

I don't care who wrote "Shakespeare", it's the only writing in English I know of where a line can bring a lump to the throat. It's when you see plays by his contemporaries, particular the Italianate Jacobean tragedies, with their two-dimensional archetypes, that you realise just how far ahead Shakespeare (or whoever wrote those plays) was in observing the human character. I do wish, though, that we'd stop performing to death things like Midsummer Night's Dream or Romeo and Juliet (neither of which I count as favourites) and look more at some of the less familiar plays. Measure for Measure is my favourite for its refusal to give any firm answers to its own moral dilemmas, and even Pericles (or at least the bits of it that Shakepeare wrote) has its moments.

Dickens I've never really warmed to. I was probably put off it as a child, but by the age of 8 I was already sold on Shakespeare anyway. Jane Austen I don't really see the point of. Any one section is a good read, but on a narrative level her novels are completely predictable. Nicely-bred girl meets rich handsome man and marries him. Upmarket Mills and Boon, where the interest lies, not in what will happen, but how it will. I know there are people who will want to throttle me for saying that, but Jane Austen goes on my list of overrated cultural icons, like late Beethoven, French cheese and the Goon Show.

[Exit, among a hail of rotten fruit...]

G ;)

As much as i hate to admit it, i still don't get why 'where for art thou Romeo' means why are you Romeo?

Maybe i'm missing something fundamental here.

The only Shakespeare play i ever liked was Merchant of Venice, i've read that one three times.

Midsummer's Night Dream was dire. I hated that so much it was unbelievable.

My favourite author though has to be Terry Pratchett, sarcasm... love it.

I also like Robert Louis Stevenson too. And Arthur Conan Doyle! Now he was one hell of a writer i loved reading his stuff.

As for Tolkein well i loved his imaginative style but i found him a little long winded, although i did like his Homeric style.

Ah the Iliad, now there is a book!

As much as i hate to admit it, i still don't get why 'where for art thou Romeo' means why are you Romeo?

It's "Wherefore Art Thou, Romeo?" where "Wherefore" means "Why". So Juliet is asking why Romeo had to be a Montague, the sworn enemy of her father, Capulet.

Shakespeare was so complicated i find. It took me ages trying to translate everything he said to actually enjoy what he was on about.

Don't get me started on Chaucer he was even worse he totally lost me, hook, line and sink.

I find modern literature to be much better crafted anyhow. It's probably the only time when i would back modern over medieval.

Give me Stephen King or Terry Pratchett any day of the week.

If you haven't read Good Omens i heartily recommend it. A philiosophical book written with twists of humour about Armageddon and some angels that aren't keen on implementing it. The ineffable nature of God being a key theme.

Truth be told though i never liked English at school. I enjoyed it at college though when we were doing stuff like language acqusition, accents, dialects, mutual divergence/convergence, occupational discourses, a spot of simple grammar. Oh and my favourite gender theories in language. Etymology was good too. We covered the termination of v/u interchangability and the dropping of the medial s. This is the English i like, if i must do English.

Story writing was my favourite though.

As you can tell i was a language student through and through, literature i was either indifferent to or i abhorred.

Although i never really liked English, chemical sciences was my buzz. Nuclear physics! Oh baby... and space... i'd give anything to be studying those again.

I regret doing history sometimes.

It's "Wherefore Art Thou, Romeo?" where "Wherefore" means "Why". So Juliet is asking why Romeo had to be a Montague, the sworn enemy of her father, Capulet.

Don't forget Oli i had a comprehensive school education.

We focused on themes (and i never did Romea and Juliet anyhow), we never did grammar or explaining what archaic words meant. It wasn't until about four years ago that i knew what heretofore meant. The teacher had to explain it to me in great depths because i didn't have a clue.

Here to fore, sounds like it's here right now. I heard no previously anywhere in that word. Definately no afore.

Other words i dislike, 'ere' (before), and thou.

What's wrong with 'you' and 'before'? 'immediately preceeding' sounds much better more technical. More scientific.

I think my problem with literature and heaven forbid poetry (and why ididn't get top grade in history) is because i see things as either right or wrong. It either is or it isn't, it's black or it's white... ambiguity really doesn't feature much. If it's provable through empirical means then it's correct. Maths i liked, but i was crap at it. But the theory behind it was good.

Same with grammar, it's got concrete rules... i like rules. Pity poetry doesn't have rules and a guide to understanding it definitively.