British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary D

Caring for coins

After collecting coins for about 35 years well 35 years ago and recently, (I'm kicking myself for missing that 1936 Crown ;) ) I've since a youngster wanted a nice cabinet to keep my collection in, so I've decided its time and am currently drooling over a Peter Nicols Crozier. My question is, does keeping coins in a more open environment like a cabinet have any detrimental effects compared to a plactic album. Does keeping them in capsuls in a cabinet have any merit.

I keep my bronze halfpennies in capsules in a cabinet, they look rather nice :) . I haven't encountered any problems at all with this method, no verdi gris or new carbon spots have appeared. Also, it prevents other coins from being 'infected' by verdi gris or cabon spots. I would reccomend this method to anyone, just make sure that you ask peter to make the insersts deeper to accomidats the capsules, he was fine with it when I asked him to do it for me :D

Was that you that made me pay silly money for that blurry piece of *&?!

You know, if buyers actually got together and came to some agreement to stop them outbidding each other, we'd all get things far cheaper!

At the moment there are a few people that I talk to about certain coins that appear on ebay, and we have agreed to discuss what we want and to leave the way clear.

Perhaps you could join the co-operative: cp@predecimal.com

All highly illegal Chris :ph34r:

Hi Gary

Be wary that a Coin cabinet is nice and convenient for thieves to pick up.

I use Coin albums with 2 x 2 flips (20 to a page)

Linder Trays

Coin boxes with 2 x 2 flips for foreign

& aluminium cases which take 6 trays.

I've also got a few other flock trays which I stack up.

Everything is portable and can be distributed around the house.

Hi Gary

Linder Trays

There is the theft issue but I dont think that it should influenece your descision too much, if your coins are stolen by the common struck dumb teenager, they may appear on ebay or even at a dealers door. If they are stolen notify all nearby dealers and keep a sharp eye on Ebay. You shouldn't let criminals stop you from presenting your collection in the best possible way...

Edited by Half Penny Jon

Yes the theft issue had crossed my mind but the collection has been stuck a box in the back of a wardrobe for the last how many years so I though it was about time to do something. There is always a descrete chain to a bolt in the floor :D

Hi Gary

Linder Trays

A coin album is even more convenient i should think, alot lighter and not as bulky to carry under your arm...

But much easier to hide.

:ph34r: why hide them away, let people see them and appreciate them and watch th esun light glissen off thier shiny surfaces :wub: