British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cara

George III penny?

Guest Cara
:huh: I have found a copper coin in my back garden while gardening. It has Georgavs III Rex and a right facing bust on one face and on the reverse a left facing seated Britannia with "Britan - nia" split to the left and right of the figure. At the bottom of this face there is the date 1773. Does anyone have any information about this coin??

Dear Cara,

Most commonly found from that year are copper Half pennies (about 30mm) but farthings look the same and are around 22mm.

Whichever it is, chances are it didn't do to well under the ground for 300 years and it's value will depend entirely on condition, from nothing and just a curiosity piece to over GBP100.00 for a near mint example.

Also, that coin type was probably one of the most widely forged coins ever and there is a good chance your coin is not the real thing at all and a contemporary forgery. Which doesn't have to be bad because it will be of the same age and possibly even more interesting, and even more valuable to a collector (a few quid, i'm not talking huge amounts!)

If it is a forged coin of the realm having it is probably still illegal and punishable by hanging ;)

If you register you can upload a scan of it for us all to see?

CP www.predecimal.com