British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

Posting pictures direct

I am still in the dark about transfering pictures of coins from my "my pictures" site to posts on forums. At present I have to use Omnicoin, not always the best idea, as I am not interested in telling the world what I'm about! <_< So can one of the 'forum boffins' make any suggestions?( besides "Get lost") :P

You could always set up a Photobucket Account. This provides free photo hosting, so you can post any pictures (within reason) on message boards like this.

Thanks Oli. Done. But I'm sure there must be a way to transfer pictures direct into posts? Oh! for 'cut & paste' to work! How much simpler. :rolleyes:

When you make a post you see the 'File attachements' under the bit you type in? That's where you select the picture from your harddrive via the browse button.

Make sure images are not too large in kb and dimensions because it uses up my bandwidth when people view them. Although I have another deal now with my hosts, so I'm more relaxed about images!

Thanks Chris! I remember now. It's old age you know!! :rolleyes:

There's another (better) method.

If a picture is already on the internet you can access it directly.

1) Find a picture you want, right click on it.

2) on the menu that comes up go down to 'Properties' and click on it.

3) This opens up a new window and you should see "Address " and next to this will be an address starting http: etc.

If you highlight that address, right click on it, copy it. The go to the place where you want it installing, right click, select paste.

Then all you have to do is put > at either side of it.

The >the goes after the address. (Make sure there's no blank spaces at either side of the address)

When you post the picture will be shewn.

Strange to say, I had tried that, but for some unknown reason i got the "forbidden" sign when I tried to copy! No idea why. This is the picture in question. Argh! It says "this type of file cannot be uploaded". Aint life a bitch? :D

Unfortunately, most BB and forum software, including this boards' software (Invision Power Board) only allow images to be posted that have recognized extensions as images (.JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc). If the software used where you pictures are stored is a database operated program, the images will not work properly on the forum.

For example, using OmniCoin as a reference. If you look at a particular coin, the URL for the image is:

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=900745

using this within the [ img ][ /img ] will not allow the image to post. to resolve this, right click on the image to get the image properties, which should be the actual file name for the image (.JPG or .GIF), which is this:

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/900745.jpg

using this within the [ img ][ /img ] will give you the proper results.

900745.jpg

Thanks! kuhli, a lot clearer now that all you fellows have have tutored me! I needed that :unsure:

I realise my problems all come about because of my using Word to produce and store the record of all my coins. I'll have to think of an intermediate step in future. :(

Edited by Geordie582

Don't worry it took me ages to get my head around it too, i had to be told three times. TAhis is why i don't like trying to explain it to other people because there's alot of potential for confusion along the way.

Another thing i should make you aware of. Some boards use the IMG in capitals, others use img in small letters.

Coinpeople uses the small letters. This one uses capitals i think.