British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Spink 2006

Right you early birds...Spink 2006 is out this Friday.

Convince me I need it.

I'm currently working from Spink 2004 (which was a great improvement on previous issues).

Whats new guys?

I imagine they'll have the same rather unhelpful grading system for copper/bronze where UNC means BU and there are consequently no subdivisions betwen EF and BU.

I've heard from a dealer than the 2007 edition will have colour plates.

The editor told me that they're working on a colour version, which is of course a huge task.

The editor told me that they're working on a colour version, which is of course a huge task.

Splendid. I got the US 2006 Redbook and the colour images in there certainly make it a more enjoyable read.

The 2006 Coin Yearbook will be colour so I hear....If not this year, perhaps the year after it seems I'll have no choice but to follow suit.

I still refuse to buy one... maybe when they go colour i might actually get one to replace my 1993 Seaby.

1999 Coincraft and 2004 Spinks are all I use and can't see the point of updating - I never take any notice of the prices anyway and have no interest inthe modern stuff! B)

Same reason as you Geordie. Plus Spinks is pretty useless for hammered coins.

I saw the 2006 Krause in a bookshop today... thought I'd wait for a colour edition though :) :)

Are they doing colour editions of all the Krauses?

I'm thinking 18th century specifically.

I put the smileys there because it was a ridiculous suggestion! Imagine such a book... it would weigh a ton and cost a fortune! Having said that, most of the pictures could certainly use some imprivement!

Has anyone got the new Spink yet?

Has anyone got the new Spink yet?

I preordered mine, so I expect it tomorrow or Tuesday.

It arrived today.

Opening the package was a chore, with parcel tape in too many places. Once I'd opened the outer packaging, it was again wrapped in another piece of cardboard: they certainly pack things well!

I could see the spine in the packaging and it looked black - visions of a black cover with gold writing and a George IV £5 flashed through my mind. However, once I took it out, I found that it is actually striped with purple and black. The coin on this year's is a William IV £5 piece. I was decidedly underwhelmed with the cover, but the inside is the usual comprehensive pricing, maps, and pictures. This year the market trends section is approximately five pages.

So are there any ridiculous prices this year? What is the general trend in terms of prices, are they higher than last year?

So are there any ridiculous prices this year? What is the general trend in terms of prices, are they higher than last year?

Basically, Spink reckons that middling grade coins have risen modestly in price, but the higher end stuff has surged ahead.

Whilst reading it just now, it talks of the Chesire Collection auctioned in America:

"All had been slabbed and re-graded according to the American numerical system with the intention of presenting them to a different type of buyer."

I found that rather humourous, and it goes on to bemoan the flaws in the Sheldon System, and why our good old British system is superior.

The coin on this year's is a William IV £5 piece.

William IV is my favourite 19th century monarch!

Love William IV coins... :D

It's about time he got more recognition. And surely that'd be a £2 coin Oli, William IV never had any £5 coins (except patterns)

The £2 was a 1831 proof...only 225 minted.

Chris will be after these. :D

The £5 pattern looks brilliant! If it is the one I'm thinking of I can't wait to see the cover!

It's about time he got more recognition. And surely that'd be a £2 coin Oli, William IV never had any £5 coins (except patterns)

I didn't really think, of course it is.