British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

What's hot and what's not?

I'm getting Collectors' Coins GB 2006 together at the moment, as most of you will know. Obviously, lots of the coins will probably stay at the same value as they were last year, especially the later ones and the most common types...

What have you noticed has increased in value over the past year, perhaps a bit more than other areas? And, what's at the same level as it was last year? Anything cheaper now than a year ago?

I'd love to hear you the general market impression from you collectors in your various fields so that I can use the data to help with the book. (remember that the book only covers from 1797 to now)

Chris

Burning midnight oil.....Working at home today :D

Watching Ebay basics seem so expensive.

Any pre 1920's silver seems to do well...Although decent 20C 1D's &1/2D's seem to be cheap. :)

Vickie Shillings are almost unobtainable at book price :angry: ....I just need 82 but I'm bored with this and have moved on. :)

Copper & Bronze Pennies:

Judging by dealers prices lists I'd say there's been a steady increase - particularly in the top grade stuff.

I think E-bay shows smaller increases, if any - there's plenty of lower-grade stuff about and more buyers than sellers.

I found this one interesting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-VICTORIAN-1849-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Although it IS a rare date, I was surprised at both the bids and the reserve. I paid £65 for one (less than fine and not as good as this one admittedly) about 4 years ago.

It'll be interesting to see what Spink come up. I often wonder to what extent they set the trends rather than reflecting them.

Copper & Bronze Pennies:

I found this one interesting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-VICTORIAN-1849-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Although it IS a rare date, I was surprised at both the bids and the reserve. I paid £65 for one (less than fine and not as good as this one admittedly) about 4 years ago.

If it sells at the reserve or even at the current price, I'm not sure I want to be around the owner tries to resell. There could be a few expletives. The basic problem is the inability of both buyer and seller to grade.

Hot: coppers, pennies, florins 1936 and older, halfcrowns 1936 and older.

Getting hot: bronze halfpennies pre 1937, shillings 1938 and older.

Not so hot: farthings, groats, sixpences

Cool: silver threepences except those in tip top condition (even Victorian)

Ice cold: nickel-brass threepences, CuNi coinage, Mary Gillick EIIR coinage

Deep freeze: decimal junk

Absolute zero: commemorative decimal junk and Churchill crowns.

I've noticed a gradual increase in the prices of Henry III, Edwards I, II, III lately. Don't know if that is general across all Hammered?

Edward VII silver was very uncomfortable to touch without fire tongs a while back.

You know i would have thought that Brass Threepences would have had a rather large following. They were very popular in their day, many pensioners and the like speak of the brass threepences with much fondness. I once tried to do a set of them, i was fascinated by them as a kid. Absolutely loved them. Until PVC/Verdigritopia took control of my collection a few years back.

That fact that the silver threepences are unpopular is no surprise. Too bloody small.

Ah! But sooooo welcome at christmas dinner! :P

True but i've always wondered about that one. How safe can having a silver threepence in Christmas pud be? Someone might choke on it! :D

Plenty of people buy them at this time of year and admit freely that a Christmas pud is where they'll end up.

I wonder if a 45 has ever been flushed down the loo :D

Unfortunately for me now 17th century tokens in better grades are really hot. Prices have risen exponentially in the last couple of years. The usual junque is still priced about where it was though.

Scottish was hot for about three years recently, but since last year the bottom seems to have fallen through there. Now it is possible to buy nicer stuff at reasonable prices again. Now I can imagine perhaps actually buying that Mary Ryal I am so desirous of.

I've always fancied one of those Mary portrait Testoons. Never seen one for sale though.

True but i've always wondered about that one. How safe can having a silver threepence in Christmas pud be? Someone might choke on it! :D

Nah! Swallowed one once. Got it back later! :P

I've always fancied one of those Mary portrait Testoons. Never seen one for sale though.

I have seen one or two very nice ones, and recently a beater piece that may have been on flEaBaY.

That one doesn't have Mary's portrait on it though!