British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris_Lander

How old are you all?

I'll be 34 on the 15th March.

My birthday is also on 15th March. what a coincidence

Pehaps people born on that date are more likely to be interested in coins.

By the way Olli, got the cheque etc.

I'll be 34 on the 15th March.

My birthday is also on 15th March. what a coincidence

It certainly is !

Beware the Ides of Mars...

http://famromo.wiccan.net/iuno/03ides.htm

:blink:

Pah! I have nothing to fear - I am invincible!

How many OAP's have we got in here or young nips?

i am 11. :P

That makes you certainly the youngest, and I'm afraid Geoff, you may well be the oldest! Not that 48 is any age, of course.

:P

Damn you william, I was the youngest!

Hark at old man Olli!

Damn you william, I was the youngest!

Sorry Oli, but i only joined yesterday, that's why you only just found out! Second youngest can't be bad though, can it?

Sorry Oli, but i only joined yesterday, that's why you only just found out! Second youngest can't be bad though, can it?

Hehehe i was only kidding :P

:P

Pretty good spread then - I'm 47. Don't remember LSD - I was only a kid in the 60's (joke).

47's pretty good - when I want to bore people I can tell them how "when I were a lad a paperback book cost just 5p"! (Now you could get a whole library for what some people charge for a shilling!)

And here's one for you 'old' folks - do your kids (and other halves) think of coin collecting as boring? (Bring out the sad violins..) When I want to enthuse about a new purchase all I get is ' yeah, yeah, nice portrait' (or worse - 'HOW much!') - anyone got sympathetic relatives out there?

...When I want to enthuse about a new purchase all I get is ' yeah, yeah, nice portrait' (or worse - 'HOW much!') - anyone got sympathetic relatives out there?

This sounds familiar, i remember lying when my parents asked how much that 1688 half guinea was, i said (unbelievibly!) £70, they went "how much! are you mad? stop wasting you're money" :o

...it's a good job i didn't tell them it really cost me £225 hey? <_<

I think perhaps there is still a general stigma attached to coin collecting/dealing. People think it's boring and well, perhaps even a bit nerdy. I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend that really seems to like helping me sort through coins and she even puts them on eBay using her id in German for me.

People that are not interested in coins are always very nice and creepy to us when they find a coin they want to know about!

People that are not interested in coins are always very nice and creepy to us when they find a coin they want to know about!

Yeah, my friend at school had a Gibraltar £1 coin, which he was using to buy his lunch, and asked me if i could identify it. So i told him what it was, and that it's illegal in this country, but he still managed to pass it off as an English one!! :lol:

Pretty good spread then - I'm 47. Don't remember LSD - I was only a kid in the 60's (joke).

And here's one for you 'old' folks - do your kids (and other halves) think of coin collecting as boring? (Bring out the sad violins..) When I want to enthuse about a new purchase all I get is ' yeah, yeah, nice portrait' (or worse - 'HOW much!') - anyone got sympathetic relatives out there?

Damn - I'm still the oldest!

My kids are quite mercenary about the whole idea of coin collecting. My daughter was 21 last month so I gave her, inter alia, a silver proof 1983 £1 because £1 coins appeared the year she was born. Her initial reaction was to ask "How much is it worth and when should I sell it?"

My son (18 this summer) admits to wanting to liberate "the geek within" which he feels he's repressed since those childhood days of collecting and ordering (like recording The Planets in the "right" order because Holst got it wrong). I've warned him that this could lead to a serious fetish for little round metal things...

Geoff

Sorry Geoff!

I not only got passed a couple of Gibraltar Will, but a Swaziland One Lilangeni! Exactly the same as a £1 coin (NiBronze) but with a lady with three pompoms around her neck on one side and a chap with what look like the arms of a cross coming out of his head on t'other!

Worse still - I kept it to add to my collection!

Damn! I forgot this area is not supposed to be about coins! Sorry.

My daughter thinks coins are boring. Whenever I talk about them she says "Mummy! Daddy used the 'C' word again."

Sometimes I get funny looks, I wonder why?

(I'm not sure if the looks would get worse or not if I mentioned how much I paid Keith Bayford for my GEF Northumberland and 1663 shillings (his gradings)) :o

Oh yeah - nerdadvice please! How do I get an avatar (please?)

Thanks Chris!

I'll get the hang of this eventually!

I could never get the hang of the moving ones but check out my jazzy new one! The edging's a bit orf but what can you expect!?

I could never get the hang of the moving ones but check out my jazzy new one! The edging's a bit orf but what can you expect!?

Yes the red-X does suit you... :D

Tom, What is your avator then?

Hi Will! It's a pic of Moby - he's that dance etc DJ. I look a bit like him (cept I have marginally more hair...) B)

Tom

(I'm not sure about the switching colours myself - anyone else find it a tad irritating? If so I'll change it!)