British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Today was GCSE results day across the country.

I got 7 A* and 3 A, which I was happy with. Next year I'm doing Politics, Economics, German and Maths at Sixth Form.

Bloody hell Oli!

You know, as a 'comp' school boy, I'll simply have to beat you up at the London coin fair for that! ;)

Excellent set of results...Well done. :D

Yes, very well done Oli :)

Remarkably well done! Congratulations!

Well done! Oli. You beat my granddaughter by 2 A*s! She wants to become a dentist - so that's onje shortage lessened! :D

Well done! Oli. You beat my granddaughter by 2 A*s! She wants to become a dentist - so that's onje shortage lessened! :D

Congratulations to her! So I suppose she's doing sciences and maths at A-level?

Congratulations... A*s too... that's a grade i never saw.

A-level maths? You're either terribly brave or you just don't know what you're letting yourself in for... :D

(Speaking as someone who knew alot of students that got A's in maths and then went on to do A-levels...) :blink:

Congratulations to her! So I suppose she's doing sciences and maths at A-level?

Yep. I hope she succeeds too as My wife and I have to travel 220 miles, round trip, to have our teeth looked at!! :angry:

We could do with more dentists. I've gone private... not of my own choosing (i would prefer NHS) but there ain't one for miles. So i'll be visiting the dentist once a year and hopefully less. It might be cheaper to do what my grandad did to escape going, have them all pulled and never go again. :D

Sorry I haven't been talking lately...I've been to Greece and my Internets been very, very ill. I got one A*, 4 A's, and 9 B's. Very pleased. Well done Oli, outstanding!

Wow, we've got some really bright people on here! I seriously didn't see A's all that much, never had an A* just not that bright.

My key to success was not my intelligence but merely my ability to just memorise stuff. Practical problem solving like maths i was doomed, stuff like history it was plain sailing, remember the fact, remember the date... sorted.

Although i have got two grade A's, one at GCSE and one at AS level. A in GCSE Woodwork and an A in AS English Language, but only because i was quite good at writing stories.

People will always need tables and chairs.

I never got an A ever in my life. 2 B's in Sciences at GCSE and a couple of C's was the best I could do. In part due to me being a lazy git. I relied too on my ability to remember silly things and did absolutely zero revisision for anything. These days, at 27 (the age when brain cells start to die and don't get replaced) i'm finding it a little more difficult!

I'm learning though, that in business you don't really have to be clever, you just have to be good enough at finding reliable clever people to do lots of things for you!

Its called delegation....I'm at an age when I feel I no longer want to work....but delegate and get involved at the last minute to take the Lunch and Glory.

I've been doing over 50,000 miles a year and still putting in 40 to 60 hrs a week.

My dearest wish is to get involved with coins and sod the rat race.

Things are happening at present.I fancy a weekly coin table at a local boot fair.

I know far too much about far too little...so I want to use this knowledge.

Watch this space B)

Aaahhh, I suppose we all think that doing our hobby full time would be wonderful, but don't you think coins could become just another rat race when you have to make a profit each month? And I'm sure getting hold of coins at the right price is a whole other job in itself!

It's just another rat race, believe me. When in the UK some weeks I have every day packed with people to see, and what they have is quite often rubbish. To be a retired person and spend your time doing it, if the income is not essential is something quite different...Probably quite pleasant, so good luck.

It's just another rat race, believe me. When in the UK some weeks I have every day packed with people to see, and what they have is quite often rubbish. To be a retired person and spend your time doing it, if the income is not essential is something quite different...Probably quite pleasant, so good luck.

While much of what the public brings you to see may be less than desirable, have there every been any pleasant surprises where someone brings something really spectacular?

Nothing really spectacular comes to mind. Lots of people have the odd coin worth £20 - £75 each, even without knowing it. Very few non collectors have coins worth big money, unless they have coins inherited by a collector, which is always dodgy, because frequently I have to basically tell the people that the coins their loved one collected are basically rubbish and that their values were all overestimated by the late collector!

Chris

You're still young ....try another 18 years in the rat race. :(

I've got equity in the house...Mrs Peter working part time....a lousy pension forecast (watch this boys it will bite you).

I could drive a local bus or work in a petrol station and survive.

I'm going to get out now.

My BP is still way OTT.

A job in a museum or lap dancing club would be ideal(I don't dance).

I got 7 A levels all A's and what did i decide to do??

Manage a Hotel!!

What a waste lol i wanted to be an Archaeologist too..... but too cold ouside for me!

A friend once gave me a tin of coins (saved up by his late father in law) to sell on ebay. He wanted the money, I got to keep what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. The best things I remember were an 1841 penny (EF), some jubilee head crowns (F) and a couple of cartwheel twopences with nice rims (good F). The rest (about 300 coins) was pretty much rubbish, but some of it did well on ebay.

An archaeologist... that must be a young person's profession. Watching them on Time Team, it must really do your knees and back in as you get older!

Archaeologist hey?

Funny you should mention that, i'm off to see about enrolling for a masters degree in Archaeology tomorrow. Dunno whether to do an MA or an MSc in it though.

I'd find the MA course easier, but the MSc is what gets you the jobs. (Usually Laboratory based jobs). Sounds good to me.

;) i don't know what career i want yet ;)

:D BURPALOT :rolleyes:

I envy you burpalot, you must be very very young!

To all those brainy students we have around, Congratulations!

Remember us when you are in a top job earning 6 figure salaries! :lol:

Edited by Unknown

I'd like to be a professional coin collector. The trouble is that I don't have a grade A* bank account so have to continue working.