British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Yesterday in the woods near Thalheim, Saxony the girlfriend and I saw a real wild snake slithering across a path. When it noticed us it slithered much quicker and we really just got a good look at the last 2 thirds of it's body. Research leads us to believe it was either a Common Viper, or a Ring Snake. It was probably more than 30cm long and a good 3cm thick.

I've never seen a wild snake before!

I saw one yesterday in my yard, while mowing. Moving the run-off pan for the rain downspout, and it was under there. A common American garter snake, non-poisonous, but still startling when not expected. I usually see at least one every time I cut the lawn, but usually along the perimeter of my yard, by the fence lines.

I won’t ask what you were doing in the woods.

:D

We were jogging, as part of our new healthier lifestyle actually! Well, kind of jogging a little, then walking the up hill bits!

I remember seeing a 6 foot long snake crossing the perimiter track on Luqua Airfield, Malta, in 1964. I was in a jeep at the time, but it gave me a start! Jet black, it looked like something out of Hollywood! And the Maltese insist that St. Paul banished all snakes from Malta. (Isn't it also claimed by the Irish?) :D

Yes, but it was Saint Patrick in Ireland wasn't it?

Cool! (I like snakes)

Talking of snakes my father has two cornsnakes, the two cornsnakes seemingly have also been in the woods. The female laid a number of eggs, two of them hatched yesterday. So that's two baby snakes wwe've got now! (And they are so small and cute).

Last year only one baby snake hatched out, about 40 eggs and one hatched. This year we've had about 30 eggs and two have hatched.

There's one more egg remaining (all the others had turned funny and collapsed in on themselves early on so we threw those), this remaining egg doesn't look very promising. I think it's going to be thrown out shortly.

Yuck! :blink:

Alot of people don't like snakes, i don't mind them.

Dogs on the other hand... well they terrify me. I'd rather be sat in a pit full of snakes any day.

Living in Suffolk we see a lot of snakes especially in the brecklands.

Adders,grass snakes and slow worms.

Past Contracts I've worked upon have required reptile relocation......A D6 bulldozer seems to do the trick :)

I've been looking for a slow worm for years but i've never seen one. I've resigned myself to the fact i'm not likely to see one up here.

I've been looking for a slow worm for years but i've never seen one.

I've only ever seen one and that was 40 years ago. As a 6 or 7 year old, I remember asking my father why it was called that. It didn't seem to be any slower than other worms, just a lot bigger.

They are a legless lizard (similar to me sometimes)

Compared to worms they are very fast but to snakes very SLOW.

I think their quarry includes snails,slugs etc (where pace isn't required. :) )

I saw a black bear eating berries in the wild last week, not to mention elk, marmots, ospreys, an eagle and any number of golden-mantled ground squirrels and chipmunks. Moose, however, were obviously all in hiding. Oh, Canada!

G :-)

what part of canada :huh:

I saw one yesterday in my yard, while mowing. Moving the run-off pan for the rain downspout, and it was under there. A common American garter snake, non-poisonous, but still startling when not expected. I usually see at least one every time I cut the lawn, but usually along the perimeter of my yard, by the fence lines.

Rather unusual in your part of the world to see on in the midst of your winter?

Only good snake is a deceased one. Serpents are the curse of the earth in my humble opin.

No i have to say i like snakes. Dogs are the curse of the earth. *Shudder*

It's not the dogs - it's the owners! Feckless most of them! :angry:

Ooo... I like snakes, but I also have yet to see one in the wild. I also like dogs (providing they aren't biting me at the time)... Spiders are what get me :ph34r:

Edited by Master Jmd

Normally I like long legs, but those bloody Daddy-longlegs are my worst fear. I think it has to do with the fact that as a child my mum always used to go mental when one flew in the house.

It's the way all their legs hang behind as they fly, and the fact that they seem to have no idea where they want to fly!

Anything with long legs is welcome ;) in my house....as long as they are not dogs. :ph34r:

I've been looking for a slow worm for years but i've never seen one. I've resigned myself to the fact i'm not likely to see one up here.

We used to go hunting slow worms and adders.

Best place to find slow worms are under stones near to whin bushes and on hills.

I had a pet one for a few months 'til my brother let it go.

Adders my sister got bitten by one when she stood on it playing hiding seek, they aint highly venomous.

I used to love looking at them.

I have NEVER seen a grass snake!!

Normally I like long legs, but those bloody Daddy-longlegs are my worst fear.

I hate daddy long legs too!!

But the thing i hate most has to be moths - when the flap around and leave the dust etc etc. *shudder

Anything with long legs is welcome ;) in my house....as long as they are not dogs. :ph34r:

Espec the feminine ones :rolleyes: