British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Cool Phil

George III Sovereign

Guest Cool Phil

Hi!

I wondered how much tops would one pay for this 1817 George III Sovereign (i was thinking around about £150) , and what grade would one class it as?

http://tinyurl.com/8lkvz

Thanks,

Phil

Given that the obverse is dire although the reverse looks a bit better, I wouldn't go as far as £100. I'd leave it as there are much better examples out there without rim marks. It's probably worth £100-125 as it the obv. struggles to get to fine although the rev is probably good fine IMHO. The pictures could be better.

Gold is a very soft metal....and the higher the purity the softer it gets.

If is just a type example you won't find one MUCH....cheaper but gold dealers often treat worn coins with contempt and there are bargains to be had.

Good luck.

Ouch. Don't worry there's worse out there than that. I have a gold coin that... well put it this way a dealer refused to buy it even for £20.

First tip; the seller "The Jeweller's Shop", in my experience it's best to avoid jewellers because they clean them (i know i've seen them do it) and they are often ex-jewellry pieces being sold.

Second tip; to me that coin doesn't look right. Maybe it's just the colour. Maybe it's just wear i'm seeing but the reverse looks to be weakly struck... which makes me question if it's real. If it is it's seen better days and is probably an ex-jewellry piece.

Personally i wouldn't bother.

Guest Cool Phil

Thanks guys, i'll think i'll give it a miss for the moment especially with the worn reverse side, though i am still interested how much it will go for when the auction finishes tomorrow.