British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bob-e

Question from someone who hasn't got a clue

Hi

I have a coin on ebay and been asked why my coin is not certified by PCGS.

Can anyone tell me who or what is PCGS ??????

Cheers

Bob

;)

PCGS is one of a number of companies that offer a grading service, mostly they are based in America. PCGS, NGC & ANACS are all such bodies. They inspect the coin and assign a grade to it. There are a lot of people who don't have that much confidence in the grades applied and this is discussed elsewhere on this forum. Essentially, people submit their coin for assessment regarding the amount of wear to these companies. They will then give an opinion on grade. All pieces will be given a number of 70 or less. It will have a prefix of F, VF, EF, AU, MS for currency and PF or PR for proofs and patterns. In the case of copper and bronze coins there will be a RD, RB or B®N to distinguish how much if any of the original colour is present. Roughly speaking, M(int)S(tate)63 is a British uncirculated. Coins are submitted by individuals for grading. If someone wants to know why it hasn't been certified, it suggests that they know nothing about coins and are looking to buy them as an investment rather than as a collector. Some people, particularly in America only trust certified coins and I suspect haven't got a clue how to grade accurately. Unfortunately, the grades applied to some pieces in the eyes of collectors, me included, are somewhat suspect. Anyone who takes the grading as gospel without personally assessing the grade is rather deluded. They don't even get the date right all the time! Have you applied a grade based on the American system to the coin?

Rob

Thanks for that detailed answer. Much appreciated.

The coin is an 8 Reale and is a shipwreck coin.

No grading has been given as it is bought as seen [lots of piccies]

It’s been on the seabed for 219 years so the condition isn’t that good.

The value in this coin is in its historical value and not its condition,

also the certificate is proving it is from a shipwreck,

not that it is genuine silver 8 Reale.

I think the bloke that is asking the question has not read the advert properly.

Cheers again for the info. :rolleyes:

Bob.