British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Help please. Brass, 21.7mm diameter, 1.4mm thick and weighs 3.54g. It has a milled rim. There could be an A on the truncation where WW would normally be and possibly something else but it is indistinct. I don't have a copy of Hocking, so if anyone does could they please have a look. The legend screams medal or colonial, but 1861 doesn't seem to tie in with any colonial issues. Thoughts please anybody.

post-31-1121429183_thumb.jpg

Help please. Brass, 21.7mm diameter, 1.4mm thick and weighs 3.54g. It has a milled rim. There could be an A on the truncation where WW would normally be and possibly something else but it is indistinct. I don't have a copy of Hocking, so if anyone does could they please have a look. The legend screams medal or colonial, but 1861 doesn't seem to tie in with any colonial issues. Thoughts please anybody.

Could it be one of the model coins, like the stuff made by Lauer maybe?

Lauers coins were tiny...a medallion even of German origin?

Lauers coins were tiny...a medallion even of German origin?

I initially thought medal because of the different beading to the two sides, but the presence of a milled edge is not what you would associate with a medal. The double filleted bust is definitely wyonesque, just a marginally different profile. The shape of the 1s in the date are not right for mint output either. The base is too thin.

Gaming token? Coin Weight? Tourist piece?

Gaming token? Coin Weight? Tourist piece?

I am thinking along the same lines, but per an earlier suggestion might go with German in origin.

looks cast to me

maybe done in metalwork at school

There are no signs of it being cast