British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JBill

Opinions on the European Currency?

Guest JBill

I went to Europe for the first time last year since they changed over (to spain to be exact) and found the coins to be insightful and quite pretty (though small).

On the other hand the notes are some of the most dull designs ever printed to paper. I hope if we ever join the euro (god forbid) they can at least have redesigned the notes by then.

Well the coins are also pretty boring in certain countries that use the same reverse like Ireland or just one or 2 reverse types.

And you're right about the notes...Stupid generic monopoly money. But as a Brit and being used to British notes all my life, the new Euro notes have an awful lot to live up to!

Chris

Guest JBill

Yeah, i forgot about the eire coins: what a wasted opportunity. Surely eire can be represented by a different means (a large potato for instance).

If the UK joined i would like to see these on the Euro coins:

1, 2, 5: Coins representing landmarks (big ben, tower London)

10, 20, 50: Coins representing famous people (Darwin, Winston Church Hill (the Germans wont liek that!) et)

1 and 2 Euros: Queens Head: Representing the UK

Yeah, i forgot about the eire coins: what a wasted opportunity. Surely eire can be represented by a different means (a large potato for instance).

If the UK joined i would like to see these on the Euro coins:

1, 2, 5: Coins representing landmarks (big ben, tower London)

10, 20, 50: Coins representing famous people (Darwin, Winston Church Hill (the Germans wont liek that!) et)

1 and 2 Euros: Queens Head: Representing the UK

I agree wth the Churchill, as long as it's not 1965 all over again!

I don't know why the Germans wouldn't like the Churchill coin! The war was a long time ago now, and there are always bloody Churchill crowns on ebay.de.

Landmarks is fine as long as they are not stupid bridges or disgusting 'modern art' landmarks.

Chris

Are those "Prototype U.K Euro" coin sets flying around Ebay actually official? It says on one of the sites:

Permission has been granted by UK authorities to feature a superb new portrait of HM the Queen.

Are they lying?

post-19-1073820787_thumb.jpg

I don't know why the Germans wouldn't like the Churchill coin! The war was a long time ago now, and there are always bloody Churchill crowns on ebay.de.

Landmarks is fine as long as they are not stupid bridges or disgusting 'modern art' landmarks.

Chris

One thing that has been puzzelling me Chris about thee new 'bridges' £1 coins.

Why did they not pick London Bridge for the English design rather than that monstrosity they picked?

Afterall London bridge is far more recognised than that Millennium bridge...!

I mean there so many other bridges too, like the humber bridge...etc.

Why did they not pick London Bridge for the English design rather than that monstrosity they picked?

I would have thought Tower Bridge an admirable choice as everybody would recognise it.

And even the Severn Bridge or one of those IKB west railway bridges etc.... I imagine it was an attempt by the very old established Royal mint to pick something a little bit new and trendy, perhaps that's what they thought the public wanted? (When of course most of us would prefer a proper bridge)

Olli, I think those Euro sets are unnofficial pattern pieces made by I forget who, but it's the same people that did the Danish patterns and they are making a mint, I can tell you. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole personally. Although maybe it is true that the Queen approved the bust.

Chris

Wow we posted at exactly the same time...freaky.

Anyway I don't think the Queen would approve the busts as it is widely known the Windsors despise Blair and his policies ;)