British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Jake

Housing Sovereigns

Guest Jake

Hi all,

I wondered how you would recommend i store my British Sovereigns, do you think i should house them in a floc style velvet case, or should i put them in 2x2 Coin flips, within a box that can store a 100 (i assume coin flips would protect the sovereign)?

Many thanks,

Jake

It depends on whether you like to look at them or not. If they are just going to be stored in a box in a safe, then 2x2 acid free paper envelopes for coins are fine. If you enjoy looking at them, use coin storage trays as you then avoid the potential problem of dropping them when you get them out of the envelopes and they look nicer like this. Either way they must be stored such that they don't come into contact with each other.

Even though gold is relatively inert, I would still steer away from flips made of soft plastic. If the copper content of the sovereign migrates to the surface, the PVC plasticizer may attack those local regions over time.

My limited gold is in flock coin trays buried under other coin trays.

I look at them and handle quite often....carefully....

If your gold is an investment lock it away otherwise enjoy it....and maybe get younger family members involved who will inherit it.

My 9 year old is busily catalogueing.

My 7 year old goes for £1 coins everytime.

Guest Jake

Thanks for your replies everyone, can i just ask when you mention flips made of soft plastic do you mean the cardboard ones with the circular 'window' or do you mean ones totally made out of plastic.

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks for your replies everyone, can i just ask when you mention flips made of soft plastic do you mean the cardboard ones with the circular 'window' or do you mean ones totally made out of plastic.

Thanks,

Jake

Plasticisers are added to virtually all man made polymers in order to make them flexible as they are quite brittle and inflexible otherwise. It is this that leaches out over time and can react with the metal and is why all plastic should be avoided.

I would go for the modern (as Yanks call em Mylars)

I personally use Britannia coin flips at £5.50 per 100.

In the states they are $2.50 max per 100(about £1.50)....bleedin posatage...kills it.

On this site there are excellent Hartberger self sealers (no staples ) at the cheapest prices.

Guest Guest

In the states they are $2.50 max per 100(about £1.50)....bleedin posatage...kills it.

On this site there are excellent Hartberger self sealers (no staples ) at the cheapest prices.

Surely if you wouldn't use 100% plastic flips, you wouldn't choose to use cardboard/plastic window types either. Self sealing flips have the added disadvantage of solvent vapours being present, which incidentally should improve the mobility of the plasticiser if used and help it leach out.

Surely if you wouldn't use 100% plastic flips, you wouldn't choose to use cardboard/plastic window types either. Self sealing flips have the added disadvantage of solvent vapours being present, which incidentally should improve the mobility of the plasticiser if used and help it leach out.

Sorry, that was me.

Hi Rob

I use flips now for the bulk of my coins.

You can get 20 2x2 flips in a page.

Its not like the old days of PVC.

I still use Linder trays for my farthings and have 3 Aluminium boxes which take 6 flock trays each for other nice bits.

The rest are in coin flips in Albums..even my hammered.

Everything is portable and should Mr Thief visit it wouldn't be a "Pick up my Coin cabinet" and walk away.

I don't catalogue BU now...just UNC.

I also think flips can contain information to non collectors...ie Mrs Peter.

If something happened to me she at least has some ID.

Hi Rob

I use flips now for the bulk of my coins.

You can get 20 2x2 flips in a page.

Its not like the old days of PVC.

I still use Linder trays for my farthings and have 3 Aluminium boxes which take 6 flock trays each for other nice bits.

The rest are in coin flips in Albums..even my hammered.

Everything is portable and should Mr Thief visit it wouldn't be a "Pick up my Coin cabinet" and walk away.

I don't catalogue BU now...just UNC.

I also think flips can contain information to non collectors...ie Mrs Peter.

If something happened to me she at least has some ID.

Hi Peter. I keep all mine in trays, but I'm getting to the point where I refuse to buy any more storage space. A clear out is necessary!! As regards information in the event of my demise, I have put it all in a database including pictures of all the rare or EF or better bits which tie in with the tickets and should provide Mrs. Rob or the kids to sort out what is what so that provenances don't get lost and rare varieties don't get sold for a quid. It gets a bit bulky in terms of storage space on the computer, but at least you can keep all the info, more than you could write on a 2x2 space.

Hey, here's an idea.

Why not inform Mrs Rob and Mrs Peter of my existance and provide my details, and you can rest assured that should the worst happen, she won't be taken for a ride by someone. I take my business as a coin re-ownership agent very seriously.

Chris

I have no plans in popping off yet and like Rob I've got to trim my collection down and get rid of duplicates.

You will be the first to know.