British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello everyone.

What do you make of this? It looks to me like an impaired silver proof halfpenny. The fields are clear and the strike is very deep. I know that a silver proof halfpenny is not listed for 1862 but it looks rather convincing to me...

1862 halfpenny

Jon.

Edited by Half Penny Jon

I don't think she would be so stupid as to list a silver halfpenny with buy it now @ £28. Suggest it has been obviously silvered when seen in the hand with probable test scratches on the edge - out of sight. Either that or it has been heavily polished and the colour balance changed. It would also be described as silver if it was. She sells enough to know that silver 1/2ds are not the norm.

Yeah it looks a bit mucky to me, and the fields aren't at all prooflike.

It could be just bronze (or copper, whichever) and taken from an angle that appears to make it silver.