British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Today I went to London on a museum trail...

The day started off with a trip to the Bank of England Museum. I was very impressed with their displays of coins through the centurys. They had some beautiful coins to name a few:

Gold Proof 1935 Crown (a gem to see!)

Proof 1957 sovereign

BU 1912 H penny

1826 gold proofs

1839 Una 5 pounds (very impaired)

1839 proof set (WOW!!)

UNC five guineas pieces!

Next I went to the coincraft shop to see if any new stock had come in. After browsing the pitiful displays, I started talking to Richard Lobel. I asked him if he had the Edward VIII set and he said very plainly 'maybe'...i then replied 'you lucky man' to which he said 'you can never have enough', very true indeed.

After the coincraft shop I popped across the road to the British museum which I was quite disapointed with. Their focus was on world coinage so there were only a few British items on display.

I asked the very polite and rather mindblowing receptionist how to make an appointment to view the collection and she told me to write to the curator and plea for an appointment. She also said that I would have a better chance of getting an appointment if it was for educational purposes (eg. a school project etc.). I'm going to write to him but I'm going to be very open with him and just say that I'm an interestred numismatist

All in all a good day out! :D

Today I went to London on a museum trail...

The day started off with a trip to the Bank of England Museum. I was very impressed with their displays of coins through the centurys. They had some beautiful coins to name a few:

Gold Proof 1935 Crown (a gem to see!)

Proof 1957 sovereign

BU 1912 H penny

1826 gold proofs

1839 Una 5 pounds (very impaired)

1839 proof set (WOW!!)

UNC five guineas pieces!

Told you it kicked ass :P

Sounds like you had a good day!

Does research for a coin catalogue count?

Because if so you've already done that...

Aaaah good point Sylvester that may make my case stronger.

thats something i would love to do, go see some fine collections and no better place than there.

i guess you could say a collector group would love a visit, after all aint that what we all are?

be a good day out for all, sign me up