British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan

What got you into coin collecting

So, is it possible to distinguish between these coins just by examining them? Or do you only know for sure if you remove it from the set yourself?

I dunno about that? I guess there'd be no way of telling? hmm? ????????? and for good measure ?

50p's are definately the least encountered. I very rarely find any commems in circ.

Really? I seem to encounter far more 50ps, i got about 10 last year.

Really? I seem to encounter far more 50ps, i got about 10 last year.

Shiny new ones, i've got one 2003 in change THIS year, last year i didn't even get that.

Got a nice 2004 2p peice three weeks ago though.

Got a nice 2004 2p piece three weeks ago though.

Yeah, the 2004 issues are starting to percolate through into general change now. However, some of the one I have seen have hardly got any lustre on them - it just goes to show how quickly it can disappear.

Yeah, the 2004 issues are starting to percolate through into general change now. However, some of the one I have seen have hardly got any lustre on them - it just goes to show how quickly it can disappear.

Is it just me or are the new issues getting introduce earlier and earlier?

I mean i usually wasn't accustomed to seeing them till september, august at the earliest.

Now we've got em in february, and some denominations are being minted in staggering numbers (1p-5p), are they trying to get ahead so that they can have a lay off in a few years time, while they tinker about with some of the other coins?

Or are we really in dire need of so much change?

Is it just me or are the new issues getting introduce earlier and earlier?

I've found that also. A few years back, in say 2000, I would hardly ever find year 2000 coins in my change but now 2004 ones have jumped into the registers in February.

...and i received a 2004 2p in JANUARY!

I think we can safely say that's a record! :lol:

Horay! :D

Blimey! I wasn't even looking for 2004 yet!! Better keep my eyes open...

As for minting lower denominations in huge numbers... isn't that what they did in 1967 to get some time off for preparing for decimlaisation? Maybe they know something we don't? :)

As for minting lower denominations in huge numbers... isn't that what they did in 1967 to get some time off for preparing for decimlaisation? Maybe they know something we don't? :)

That's exactly what i was thinking...

there's a change (pun intended!) coming. :blink:

wouldn't surprise me if they don't shrink the 20p coin. They've no real reason to, but it wouldn't surprise me. Afterall they'd make more of a profit with smaller ones!

Then again i also smell the euro on the horizon, and it stinks.

And they minted the date '1967' right up until 1970 too.

Conspiracy theory!

Conspiracy theory!

ah well they've changed the date on the 2p's.

Well, they were busy moving the mint from London to Wales weren't they. I wonder if it's true that all the new coins were made in Wales and all the old coins were made in London?

Just curious really...

Well, they were busy moving the mint from London to Wales weren't they. I wonder if it's true that all the new coins were made in Wales and all the old coins were made in London?

Just curious really...

Probably...

Although i bet the proofs got made in Wales. When did London mint shut?

A bit more info on modern coins from sets versus circulating coins... this extract is quoted from Coin Yearbook 2004, page 219...

... from 1982 sets of coins to non-proof standard, and including examples of each coin found in circulation, have been issued each year. For 1982 and 1983 they were to "circulation" standard and described as "Uncirculated". Individual coins from these sets are annotated "Unc" on the lists that follow. From 1984 to the present day they were described as "Brilliant Uncirculated" (BU on the lists) and from around 1986 these coins are generally distinguishable from coins intended for circulation. They were then produced by the Proof Coin Division of the Royal Mint (rather than by the Coin Production Room which produces circulation standard coins).

I goes on to explain that in this context Unc and BU refer to an advertising description or production standard rather than the grade of a coin... very confusing!!

Anyway, it answers my earlier questions... yes, the coins in sets are now specially made and yes, apparently you can tell the difference.

They also mention the 1992 20p "Enhanced effigy"... anyone seen this? Is it obvious?

When did London mint shut?

The Royal Mint moved to wales in 1974, if my memory serves me correctly.

G

They also mention the 1992 20p "Enhanced effigy"... anyone seen this? Is it obvious?

I dunno about that, but i'm really suprised they don't explain what it is fully in the yearbook.Here are the Coin Yearbook prices for all 1992 20ps...

1992 - £4 in UNC

1992 Enhanced effigy - £2 in UNC

1992 BU - £2

1992 Proof - £4 in UNC

I dunno about that, but i'm really suprised they don't explain what it is fully in the yearbook.Here are the Coin Yearbook prices for all 1992 20ps...

1992 - £4 in UNC

1992 Enhanced effigy - £2 in UNC

1992 BU - £2

1992 Proof - £4 in UNC

nor do they get into the technicalities of 1992 10p die variations.

nor do they get into the technicalities of 1992 10p die variations.

what variations do you have in mind Sylvester?

... like we've got nothing better to do than stare at loads of identical coins looking for minute differences all evening!! Oh, wait a minute... we love doing that don't we? :)

what variations do you have in mind Sylvester?

... like we've got nothing better to do than stare at loads of identical coins looking for minute differences all evening!! Oh, wait a minute... we love doing that don't we? :)

well i could try and explain it myself, but it'd take me all week...

So see here for the info... (it's near the bottom)

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/dec5.html#10p

see here for the pics...

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/dec10.html#var

I've even managed to find a few of the BA type, which accounts for much less than 1% of the total 1992 mintage, so there's about 10,000,000 of them out there, as opposed to a few hundred million of the other varities.

I'm still reeling from the bombshell that our mentor, webmaster, fuhrer and www.predecimal.com pal is too young to remember £sd  :o

It appears we have some younger collectors on here...

yes, im one of the young ones, i am 13 years old.

i got into coins about 4 weeks ago when my uncle gave me some old coins (about 80), and since then i have gathered quite a collection by asking members of my family. I have about 400 coins, about 200 of them are duplicates.

That sounds the same as what happened with me years ago. Now it would be very strange if your uncle was also an 'Uncle Peter'?

i have an uncle peter, but it was an uncle billy that i got the coins from:)