British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Preston

Odd coin.

Guest Richard Preston

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me, my Gran has given a coin to me and I would like some help identifying it.

It is approx. 19mm about the size of a sixpence, it is silver and on one side has a picture of Queen Elizabeth and on the other the Royal shield with the date 1562.

Does anyone know what it is?

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me, my Gran has given a coin to me and I would like some help identifying it.

It is approx. 19mm about the size of a sixpence, it is silver and on one side has a picture of Queen Elizabeth and on the other the Royal shield with the date 1562.

Does anyone know what it is?

If it's the size of a modern sixpence then it's definately not an Elizabeth I sixpence cos they were bigger.

19mm and dated it sounds like a threepence to me. Question does it have a Rose behind the Queen's head?

Guest Richard Preston

Yes it does, is that important?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rose is to help signify the denomination.

There were several denominations all about the same size... three halfpence at 16-17mm, half groat (two pence) slightly larger (no size given in my book) and the three pence at 19-20.5mm. Imagine trying to tell three coins apart in your hand where the smallest is 17mm, the largest is 19mm and there is one in between and none of them are particularly round.

At this time, all the "three" denominations had a rose behind the queen's head... so three pence, three halfpence and three farthings, as well as six pence. All the others had no rose. Later on they used a system of dots behind the queen's head for some denominations. Not long after that (James I) they used roman numerals to indicate the value directly.

That's about the jist of it. Mintmark knows more about it than i do.

What i knew was thus;

Sixpences (6d) had a rose and were dated

Groats (4d) no rose undated

Threepences (3d) rose and dated

Halfgroat (2d) no rose undated

(Although you get rare issues with no rose where there should be one). But i'd bet you've got a threepence. Any chance of a picture?

Guest Richard Preston

I shall upload a picture tonight.

Is it a rare item?

My money is also on a 3d ......a wild guess S2565 a picture will pin it down.

All Elizabeth 1 coins are rare but not all collectable.

What you need is a nice round unclipped flan,a good strike (especially a good portait)...and identifiable :)

i'd need a picture to valuate it for you.

Sorry, photo didnt work. Try again.

post-31-1119019230_thumb.jpg

this one is 1572

post-31-1119019311_thumb.jpg

Is that 6p yours? I'm jealous :unsure:

Its a 3p. Found it last year on the surface of a stubble field. Made my day.

That, well that, that is indescribable.

And it's one hell of a find! She's gorgeous, well struck, little wear, nice legends, nice flan. Some of us have to pay for such quality! :o

;)

Its a 3p. Found it last year on the surface of a stubble field. Made my day.

What a great treasure and found to boot. Congratulations.