British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

Automatic toner

Hmmmmmmm

I'd be interested to know how this works. The tone screams fake but still I would like to know how they do it.

That is awful. :o

Lemme say one thing first and foremost. When artificially toning a coin you can never predict which way it's going to turn out. It might turn out looking relatively natural (the one pictured could have toned like that naturally, but the environment it was stored in would have been below standards), other times it'll come out all wrong, patchy, spotchy, speckled, bright pink... and you'll think "ahh..." and then you have to dip it and start again.

But i'd always stress toning is tarnish. Tarnish is corrosion. Colourful coins are just more corroded than white or light grey ones. And all silver coins will turn black eventually as the silver oxidises.

To be honest with you, i would prefer a cleaned coin over an Artificially Toned (AT) one. Usually because most AT coins are hiding something, i.e previous cleaning. So you get two conservation issues, instead of just one.

Phew... i thought you were gonna blow it there on CU forums for me.

For those not in the know, i'm currently conducting an experiment with the picture of the above. Now we know it's AT, however i've had several disagreements with US members on another forum over colourful toning and how to me even the most less drastic (as the one above) is probably AT. Hopefully a whole crowd of them will wade in and say "fantastic", "lovely" or words to that effect.

The odd one might know more than i think and spot it's AT. But i bet most of them couldn't tell the difference between a regular (not badly turned out over the top) AT and a natural colourful tone (if there is such a thing).

Well the bait's there...

Do you know for sure that the picture is AT? Just because the seller is selling AT making stuff doesn't mean he used an AT coin in the picture.

Do you know for sure that the picture is AT? Just because the seller is selling AT making stuff doesn't mean he used an AT coin in the picture.

No one knows for sure but when they know where the picture has been lifted from it must cast a seed of doubt into the minds of even the most confident. Which is good enough for me.

Hmmmmmmm

I'd be interested to know how this works. The tone screams fake but still I would like to know how they do it.

It might be prudent to note the list of buyers of this item plus the other two "repair kits" currently offered by the same seller. There are some names on the list who frequently offer higher value and rarer pieces on ebay. The other lot numbers are 3978798869 and 3978801028. Sorry, don't know how to insert links.

Hmmmmmmm

I'd be interested to know how this works.  The tone screams fake but still I would like to know how they do it.

It might be prudent to note the list of buyers of this item plus the other two "repair kits" currently offered by the same seller. There are some names on the list who frequently offer higher value and rarer pieces on ebay. The other lot numbers are 3978798869 and 3978801028. Sorry, don't know how to insert links.

Footandankle and Rockinghorsepoo certainly ring a bell.

Footandankle is more of a buyer than a seller historically, but rockinghorsepoo, fenlord and thistledoonicely are dealers. fenlord sells mostly dug up hammered and is based in Cambridge, rockinghorsepoo is in Durham and acts as an outlet for one or two big spenders' surpluses, naming no names. The third is based in Warrington and leans towards hammered. A few other names in the list have been buying up lots of cheap lower grade items recently and are relative newcomers. For these the clue is probably in the number of feedbacks. Anyone with a 3 figure feedback in a month or two where the purchases are mostly low grade is either spending money for the sake of it or buying to pass things on quickly. After all, if you want to collect washers, you can get a box of 100 for less than a quid in the DIY store. the low price high volume approach can be very productive, a £2.99 starting price trebles your money if you only paid 99p. If it looks a bit better, you might make 10 times the cost. All very worrying given that one of the products is basically a variation on polyfiller.

Ok rockinghorsepoo bought his on 6th June. Coincidence that he list a part-Maundy set with rainbow toning on the 11th? Personally I can't see the toning, but if it's there, well, make your own conclusions.

Purchase History

Maundy set

Another part set

I've printed out the list of purchasers and will use it as reference. perhaps other members should do the same! <_<

I've printed out the list of purchasers and will use it as reference. perhaps other members should do the same! <_<

Don't forget the other two products for sale. item nos. 3978798869 and 3978801028

Looks like Rockinghorsepoo is enjoying his Chemicals :)

I don't know if it's more worrying that Rockinghorsepoo is buying this stuff or is curently bidding £107 for a pewter reproduction of a civil war coin (8312146592). Back to my earlier theme of should we warn these people or let them get their fingers burnt?!!

Blisters Ahoy I say. :ph34r:

Well I'm pleased to see some nice person has put exactly the same two pewter replicas on eBay, labelled as such so hopefully the bidders on the earlier 'coins' will spot them and twig - if they don't what can I say? (I was a bit horrified to see Thistledonicely had bid earlier - I'd have hoped he'd know better!)

Trouble is I have quite a few of these things myself and if some fool was prepared to give me £100 for them it'd go some small way towards my next purchase - OH! THE TEMPTATION!!!!

Here we go. A dozen or so pieces all Charles 1st hammered, all cleaned and now retoned. One item is lot no. 8314352465 if the following link doesn't work. charles 1st 1/-

Here we go. A dozen or so pieces all Charles 1st hammered, all cleaned and now retoned. One item is lot no. 8314352465 if the following link doesn't work. charles 1st 1/-

And it begins...

Fraud.....but the sign of things to come I'm afraid.

Caveat emptor...as previously discussed in another thread.

PS Well done with the link....my nephew is due here this weekend....I need a teach in to do links,scanning,Digital cameras etc

My computer training was on Supercalc. :D

I can vouch for footandankle, he's as honest as the day is long, and no doubt wants to experiment. He's definitely a collector, not a dealer.