British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

A big fraud on eBay

Pictures here...

...striking similar to these, just lightened.

I mean, they even have the same scratch left of Cromwell's nose. eBay and the high bidders have been notified, as have Chard.

edit: He's also stolen the pictures of the other coin he's selling

Real

Stolen

Edited by Emperor Oli

I sit possible the seller bought those coins and is now selling them?

I thought that but you know how Chard are protective of any of their photographs. Then I looked if he had sold/bought any coins recently and he hasn't - seems odd that his first sales are such high value. The Roman isn't for sale either.

I thought it better to be safe then sorry. If I'm wrong I'll stick my head in the sand and plead ignorance!

Edit: The description for the Roman has been stolen as well. A collector would surely compoes his own?

Edit numero dos: Stolen from description Chard also

Edited by Emperor Oli

The high bidder is ancient_aramic for both items. Could be the seller given the same ebay name configuration i.e ancient connotations separated by underscores. Private feedback too.

And I forgot to mention, a very expensive and expansive taste in numismatics.

And for my final posting on this topic, the high bidder likes the seller. Of the last 9 things he has bid on, 8 were from the same seller where mostly he came second despite the eclectic mix of items and the on the ninth they bid against each other. Clearly no connection thus.

I thought that but you know how Chard are protective of any of their photographs.

In my opinion the auction pictures are modified versions of the Chard pictures... I compared the compression artefacts around the edge of the coin and they seem to be the same. So even if the same coin is being sold, there is no excuse for using someone else's picture (unless permission is given).

In general though I don't think there is any relationship between owning a coin and owning the copyright on images of the coin. If I buy a coin, photograph it and then sell it the pictures are still mine. I don't think the new owner could stop me doing anything with the images.