British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

Goldberg

If you could have any coin, regardless of value, from the upcoming Goldberg auction of the Cheshire Collection, which would it be and why? You'll need a

link!

I think I'd pick this pattern. I choose it because of its rarity and therefore its importance, the super toning on it and the different version of Britannia. Also, the fact that it belonged to a member of the Boulton family heightens its appeal for me.

Or maybe this pattern 1799 Halfpenny. I like it because it features George III with a crown!

BUT for my 1826 set which has one lone member, I think this sixer would be the piece de resistance. Clear fields, delicate toning and of extremely high condition.

Edited by Emperor Oli

6528956125 because I let the vendor take it for £1100 last November and within 2 minutes thought - "you silly sod". Sorry, I don't know how to add links, so you will have to access it via another posting.

Ohhh ohhh ohhh!!

Ah ha...

Yes certainly, if i could, i would!

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...&category=52622

Eadred! I need him for my Anglo-Saxon monarchs set.

Which is only one of three sets i'm now working on!

Suspiciously "uncirculated"? Sorry, I'm a sceptic of all hammered in this condition <_<

From what i've seen in pictures it looks alright to me. Alright meaning genuine.

With regards to doctoring/cleaning and such i'm not too bothered about that with coins of this period. It's just nice to find one intact! (Obviously broken and repaired coins don't feature too highly on my list of desirable coins).

An Edmund penny is what i really want now though.

Oh and by the way it wasn't me that said it was UNC, it's not UNC no hammered coin in my opinion is truely UNC.

I'd grade it GVF/AEF.

Oh and by the way it wasn't me that said it was UNC, it's not UNC no hammered coin in my opinion is truely UNC.

I'd grade it GVF/AEF.

I meant suspiciously perfectly preserved!

There are some 50 lots I would like to purchase. Actually more, but I had to close up the catalogue after 50.

The Una and the Lion piece is fabulous. If I had the quid for that, I would take it.

I am going for one lot in particular, which I will not reveal until after the bidding is over. I have a series of second bests that I will bid on if I fail to win the one of primary interest. The most I could win is 3 lots.

I'm just sitting here slobbering...(and I've only been checking out coins....honest)

I might have the cheek to nip in a early bid or two. :ph34r:

I'm trying to pursuade my mother that a nice coin portfolio would be in her interests...at present she only stumps up on birthdays and Xmas. :)

If you could have any coin, regardless of value, from the upcoming Goldberg auction of the Cheshire Collection, which would it be and why?  You'll need a

link!

You will all probably laugh at me, but I would have to chose this pattern decimal penny. Being that I am not from the UK, I have the fortunate pleasure of not finding the modern decimal coins as boring and mundane as you do, just as you probably see some interest in the state quarter programs, which I find as dull as a plastic knife.

I love it Kuhli....Lizzie is pretty....also a vintage year :D

State quarters are a great idea....I,m teaching my kids the different States...they only knew where California was !!!!!.

I just got the 2004 P & D sets for $3.49 x 2.

Its a shame about the high mintages....but they are collectable all the same.

Don't anyone even think about bidding on the 1934 Crown (Wybrit!). Everyone knows I have a customer for those, and he really wants this one!

Leave it to me or i'll get nasty :angry:;)

...just as you probably see some interest in the state quarter programs, which I find as dull as a plastic knife.

Interest in State Quarters? Me... shoot me first! Commemoratives on a mass scale and i don't like commems. Money making rackets again.

Although i don't mind Decimal British coins so long as they are the stuff that is intended for circulation. Like bronze pennies and normal design £2 coins.

The state quarters could perhaps be compared to the Churchill crowns, 1977 Crowns etc...Commemorative coins for the masses, none of which will ever be valuable. On the positive side though, anything out of the ordinary can get people interested in coin collecting.

I've got to admit to having all the to-date issued State Quarters! But I was in Texas and there wasn't many hammered silver about! :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordie582

Well i've got a incomplete date run of BU machin head pennies, 1971-1984... a few dates missing, hopefully i can finish it one day! :D

I focused on lower denominations. I tried in vain to win the 1854 sixpence and I should have put a bid in for the 1893 Jubilee Head 6d, graded MS61 but actually should have been EF. Spink picked that one up for a measly $2,800 (versus a £2,000 EF Spink catalogue value).

I'll report back on what I did win once everything is confirmed.