British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Emperor Oli

Colourful toning opinions

Do you like colourful toning on coins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like colourful toning on coins?

• Yes
    • No

Just after I posted the 6d, I got to thinking about colourful toning on coins. Do you like it, and why do you like it? Or do you hate it, and why do you hate it? I'm talking generally, on average here.

I think overall I like it. If it detracts from the main devices of the coin or is exceptionally ugly, I wouldn't touch it, but otherwise I think I would.

Another question would be if you would pay a premium for some particularly pleasing toning.

I probably would if it was a nice piece, maybe 10% onto the price. But it all depends on the nature of it I suppose.

I'm always suspicious of "pretty" coins. There's so much you can do with a chemistry set! :ph34r:

I'm always suspicious of "pretty" coins. There's so much you can do with a chemistry set! :ph34r:

Correct, such as dip them.

Toning makes me think of that greenie tinge that PVC folders gave to 60/70/80's collections of silver....Or the yellowish colour of the first 50% silver coins of the early 20's.

Rainbow toning is unreal.

I like nice brown Unc copper that has lost its lustre....it shows off the fields beautifully.

Edge knocks are the worst. :(

Exactly. Here in the US, there are a number of collectors willing to pay huge premiums for colorfully toned coins -- most of which I suspect have had more than a little help getting that way.

I like some of the colours that coins in different metals can go naturally, but I don't like unusual "novelty" toning. For copper, I have some German pfennigs that have gone a deep metallic red... don't know why. Others stay bright and coppery.

As you may well have come to expect you can never get a straight forward simple answer out of me, and here is no exception;

Well it depends.

With regards to milled coinage the words absolutely not spring to mind. Spotty, speckled, rainbow or anything that is vibrant will generally get passed over by me, as does anything pink, red or green. Generally because i find these tones distracting from the coin's design, when it comes to silver i like coins that are greyscale or white.

Older coins some shade of grey, newer coins white. Another reason is because colourful tones make me think the coin has been poorly stored and or doctored which is just as bad as a coin that has been cleaned or dipped in my eyes.

Although if the toning is even and subtle and particularly of darker colours such as blue (because i like dark colours and i like blue) which do more to give the design that wow factor rather than, the "where's my sunglasses" factor then it's alright in my book.

So i short, pink/red/green/yellow = NO, Blue = YES!

As for hammered for some reason i really like colourful toned hammered coins, it is basically because hammered coins often lack the sharp contrast between design and the flat field of modern coins. Particularly groats which are somewhat cluttered in design (i like clutter) but a rainbow toned groat, well the colours help bring out the design rather than masking it. I kinda really dig coloured hammered coins, i still like greyscale hammered though!

Unfortunately i can't find a picture of one at the minute to show!

Unfortunately i can't find a picture of one at the minute to show!

077608.jpg

077608N2.jpg

???

Wonderful!

See what i mean, it highlights the design! So much bolder.

Toning is a touchy subject. I prefer white coins, but the right type of even toning is quite attractive.

Here is the problem, already hit bang on the head by Rob - white coins are white because they have been dipped. At least, if they are 19th century or older coins.

There is virtually no way given the environmental disaster that was the industrial revolution that, save for a very few lucky examples, silver coins could escape the ravages of oxidation and tarnish.

One possibility of a miracle survival would be that coins were brought to a dry, outdoorsy climate such as ones found in deserts or high plains like those in Colorado or Wyoming. Coins do not oxidize as quickly in such environments.

Edited by wybrit

I don't mind a little "natural" toning. A lot of the toning that is commanding premiums on ebay and such looks very artifical to me. I'd rather skip it.

A little tarnish is also a good thing on an older coin. It is clear that it hasn't been dipped or cleaned - at least recently.