British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

2009 Mule 10 Pence With Lion Reverse of 2007

I posted this in the general British coin forum but noted with interest that 2 days ago Noonans sold at auction what is evidently an extremely rare decimal coin. It may be the rarest of all currency from the decimal era!

This would be the 2009 10 pence, uncirculated currency piece with the lion reverse of 2007 and earlier. Out of curiosity I looked it up and could only find record of a different piece sold at London Coin auctions about 8 years ago and then vague mention of one other specimen from a 2008 (!) currency specimen set, I think it said for babies born that year or similar. 

Regardless, I didn’t even know this coin existed - maybe because I have focused on the later milled pre-decimal coins of 1837-1970. Do readers know more?

ABAE6AE0-BD3D-421B-897B-366ED8952ADB.jpeg

• Like 2

No, this is the first I've heard of this and while I don't collect decimals myself, I do keep an eye on this forum.

Hard to tell but this looks a bit like a specimen set coin also, but could be wrong. I laughed a bit as I thought about it - this is the analogy to the 1913 Liberty Nickel in the USA series - a 5 million dollar coin or so. It does not seem to be an error but rather a mule, and could it be intentional & how many struck?

Surely if it was an intentional fabrication there would be more out there and someone would be cashing.

I think it may be a true rarity and ought to be written up in Coin News or similar - very interesting.

On 6/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, VickySilver said:

I posted this in the general British coin forum but noted with interest that 2 days ago Noonans sold at auction what is evidently an extremely rare decimal coin. It may be the rarest of all currency from the decimal era!

This would be the 2009 10 pence, uncirculated currency piece with the lion reverse of 2007 and earlier. Out of curiosity I looked it up and could only find record of a different piece sold at London Coin auctions about 8 years ago and then vague mention of one other specimen from a 2008 (!) currency specimen set, I think it said for babies born that year or similar. 

Regardless, I didn’t even know this coin existed - maybe because I have focused on the later milled pre-decimal coins of 1837-1970. Do readers know more?

ABAE6AE0-BD3D-421B-897B-366ED8952ADB.jpeg

could you post an image of the normal reverse for comparison ?

Can't download at the info limit. This is Krause KM -  1110

10 hours ago, DrLarry said:

could you post an image of the normal reverse for comparison ?

10_08.jpg

That was the new reverse from 2008 - quite different as you can see.

Yes I just realised that the shield came in in 2008 .  Sorry I don't get out much !   Lol 

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 2:29 PM, VickySilver said:

I think it may be a true rarity and ought to be written up in Coin News or similar - very interesting.

I'm surprised it wasn't at the time (or maybe it was - I can't remember when I started subscribing).

I just wrote them on Facebook and see what they say. Predecimal currency coins don't get a lot of appreciation in the mad rush for all of the SOTD sovereigns and the schlock that the RM has been peddling for a good decade or so....

Yes coin collecting has seen a rise in my opinion but for the decimal stuff more so.

The fellow over at Coin and Medal News answered me and said they'd discuss it. I think that would be an important addition...

• Like 1

I also wrote Wayne at E-sylum -BTW, check their website. Let's see if he publishes anything about that.

• Like 1

The coin will be sent shortly to the Royal Mint for authentication and commentary, which I hope they cover in some detail.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing what comes of it.

Yes, I will keep all interested posted. They gave me a contact and direct address, charged 20 pounds (that cost 25 to get a bank draft) and then 43 USD to ship...Yikes.....

• Like 1

At long last the RM acknowledged receipt of this coin at the museum. Dave there has been rather a champion in this.

Not to bore, but quite the saga and no wonder not many see a coin through the process of submitting coins to. the RM:

I sent off the coin (all figures in USD) which cost $25 to send wire which was only for $25. Postal fees for minor value but tracked and signed for another $42; coin got stuck in customs for nearly two weeks. Customs wanted another $25 so sent another bank wire to RM for that and the requisite $25 bank fee. 

Total to send the coin in? $142 USD!   The next element will be time - Dave said probably 6-8 weeks but not sure when the counting began. In the olde dayes of Graham Dyer, coins would at times be held for one or even two YEARS!!!!

• Like 2

“sent off the coin (all figures in USD) which cost $25 to send wire which was only for $25.”

Do look into Wise.com for money transfers, a fraction of the price of bank wire transfers.

https://wise.com

And good luck!

Jerry

Edited by jelida

I think that a good idea, but would the RM Museum accept that payment form? I have a few others that are interesting and would like an opinion from the Museum but not worth such a high price - admittedly less per coin if sending out more coins with the traditional form.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

I think that a good idea, but would the RM Museum accept that payment form? I have a few others that are interesting and would like an opinion from the Museum but not worth such a high price - admittedly less per coin if sending out more coins with the traditional form.

As far as the recipient is concerned it’s just a normal bank transfer, no extra costs to them. I’ve paid individuals and auctioneers all over the world with no issues. Accepts all the usual bank codes etc and confirms the recipient is correct before money is transferred and the low cost always surprises me. I would be expect RM to accept a bank transfer. I have never had an issue with Wise (or TransferWise, as they were originally named. The Virgin group amongst the original investors, if I remember correctly).

Jerry

Edited by jelida

I can also highly recommend Wise. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it's saved me a small fortune in conversion fees.

It effectively gives you a local bank account for whichever currency you're looking to spend. In your case rather than transferring USD from your US bank account to a UK bank (incurring a wire fee), you'd instead convert your USD to GBP, then send that GBP locally to the UK bank.

Their conversion fees are also very competitive. Makes PayPal look like a bit of a joke. Right now if you were to convert $1k USD to GBP Wise would give you £800.38 whilst PayPal would only give you £769.15.

Thanks, and will def. give a try at the auction houses if I can still afford anything. I will post the RM Museum findings on this thread when they come back.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing what comes of it.

It's good that the Royal Mint still do look into things like this - the Royal Australian Mint stopped years ago I believe.

Well, they finally took receipt of the coin on 17 Sept. and said 6-8 weeks - now 47 days. But who is counting?

• Like 2