British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

I'm wondering if we here in the UK have achieved the much vaunted "herd immunity" with regard to covid. I'm not hearing of any cases recently. Those that have occurred in the last year or so, say at work, were so mild to the individuals concerned, that they were able to work from home (if equipment installed) and they just tested themselves every day to see if they were negative. Now a recent HR missive says staff who have tested positive for covid can come into the office if they don't feel ill, and stay away from other vulnerable staff (not sure that's an entirely logical position, but still).

The local rag still gives figures for new cases over the previous week, and there were just 9 this week - out of a population approaching 130k. Even the arcturus (sp) variant which the media made the alarmist most of a couple or so months back, has failed to make any impact at all.

So yes, I'm tempted to say that's where we are - herd immunity status.

My son went to a gig in Manchester 2 weeks ago and presumably got it there (second case). He had all the same symptoms at the same intensity as a couple years ago, but these cleared up inside 3 days.

I haven't given a second thought for Covid for quite a while now. However, my understanding is that we might never reach herd immunity for the disease. The vaccinations greatly reduce the symptoms of the covid but are not able to prevent many people from catching it due to variants. It will probably linger in the background as a mild inconvenience for a long time. I am more worried about catching flu.

14 hours ago, Rob said:

My son went to a gig in Manchester 2 weeks ago and presumably got it there (second case). He had all the same symptoms at the same intensity as a couple years ago, but these cleared up inside 3 days.

Did he actually test positive for Covid?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sword said:

I haven't given a second thought for Covid for quite a while now. However, my understanding is that we might never reach herd immunity for the disease. The vaccinations greatly reduce the symptoms of the covid but are not able to prevent many people from catching it due to variants. It will probably linger in the background as a mild inconvenience for a long time. I am more worried about catching flu.

Did he actually test positive for Covid?

Yes

I gave up testing for perhaps a year now. Like many people, I used to test twice weekly for a long time but have never tested positive. This helped to convince me that perhaps I am one of those people immune to covid. (The four jabs are enough reassurance even if I am not.)

4 hours ago, Sword said:

I gave up testing for perhaps a year now. Like many people, I used to test twice weekly for a long time but have never tested positive. This helped to convince me that perhaps I am one of those people immune to covid. (The four jabs are enough reassurance even if I am not.)

You could well be. Also, there were many asymptomatic cases. Some tested themselves and were positive, but never had any symptoms at all, right the way through until they tested negative. Felt fine. Including some who were never jabbed, or jabbed just once.