British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Kipster

Recommended website/reading?

Does anyone know where you can check the scarcity of farthing varieties and potential values at all please? I know the usual sources, but wondered if anyone had any other pointers with more listed? I have a look at allcoinvalues as a very general guide, but have no idea how accurate this is.

I've just picked up a second 1825 over higher 5 farthing which seems to be close to uncirculated for a very reasonable sum, and wondered just how scarce these are.

It really depends on if a collector wants to pay a little more for a "Variety" you could add aprox 40% on the coins selling price , if it does not sell its not worth that ,so move it down a little, - its all market forces , me myself I would put an extra £40 on the selling price and try that .

Edited by copper123

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

It really depends on if a collector wants to pay a little more for a "Variety" you could add aprox 40% on the coins selling price , if it does not sell its not worth that ,so move it down a little, - its all market forces , me myself I would put an extra £40 on the selling price and try that .

Very true, if someone needed to put the final piece of a run together. I'd have a job selling anything though as I'm a bit of a Mr Trebus, unless it was something I was quite sterile to.

Freeman is the only place I know of for bronze farthings.

Varieties are (or can be) difficult to weigh up in terms of their noteworthiness.

I agree with @Mr T that Freeman is probably the very best source for modern milled bronze, although he starts at 1860 for pure currency coins, at the commencement of the bronze era. All his varieties are taken very seriously, whereas some of the more recently discovered ones never seem to resonate with dealers and collectors - minute date width differences+ being an obvious example. 

As far as current values you need a decent website, as book values soon become out of date.

You might find this useful, possiby - link      

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Freeman is the only place I know of for bronze farthings.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

You might find this useful, possiby - link      

Thanks both. I have Freeman and use the linked website quite regularly, but don't really know how accurate those pricings are for the varieties.

I've just picked up another 5 over higher 5 farthing in high grade, but allcoinvalues seem to put a value on extremely fine at £275, which I think is probably a bit off bearing in mind the frequency that I find them. But then again, I am looking. 

37 minutes ago, Kipster said:

Thanks both. I have Freeman and use the linked website quite regularly, but don't really know how accurate those pricings are for the varieties.

I've just picked up another 5 over higher 5 farthing in high grade, but allcoinvalues seem to put a value on extremely fine at £275, which I think is probably a bit off bearing in mind the frequency that I find them. But then again, I am looking. 

There is quite a few high grade ones on ebay just now .Ranging from £17 (fair) to $150 , but most are around the £85-110 mark for EF or better .

14 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

There is quite a few high grade ones on ebay just now .Ranging from £17 (fair) to $150 , but most are around the £85-110 mark for EF or better .

That's about where I would expect them to be really. It doesn't seem a scarce variety

21 hours ago, Kipster said:

That's about where I would expect them to be really. It doesn't seem a scarce variety

While looking at ebay for 5/5 farthings I came across what looks like a 5/3 .Can't find any information on it except that it was alluded to, but not confirmed (that has probably changed as apart from a date run, I don't really bother with farthings ).Will probably be nothing once I have it in hand , but was worth a punt to find out .

image.png.d00878497537c5588361525c755edcce.png

image.png

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mick1271 said:

While looking at ebay for 5/5 farthings I came across what looks like a 5/3 .Can't find any information on it except that it was alluded to, but not confirmed (that has probably changed as apart from a date run, I don't really bother with farthings ).Will probably be nothing once I have it in hand , but was worth a punt to find out .

image.png.d00878497537c5588361525c755edcce.png

image.png

That's interesting. Just comparing it to an 1823 and the diagonal stroke of the 3 would roughly be in the right spot. Interested to hear what you think when in hand 👍

3 hours ago, Kipster said:

That's interesting. Just comparing it to an 1823 and the diagonal stroke of the 3 would roughly be in the right spot. Interested to hear what you think when in hand 👍

It is quite a nice clear pic , but sometimes even the best photos lie. i will put up some other pics and some microscope pics when It arrives.

Very reminiscent of 5/3 on 1865 bronze. If it's not, then it would fool everyone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Very reminiscent of 5/3 on 1865 bronze. If it's not, then it would fool everyone.

I thought that too . Sold as a bog standard 1825 ,(I enlarged the pics for a closer look) so cheap and worth the gamble .

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1