British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sword

Royal Mint quality control (or the lack of)

I have just received my coronation coin. It supposed to be signed for but the postie just left it on my doorstep.

When I opened the box, I was surprised by the lack of quality control. The plastic case is quite badly scratched where the date is. But the coin itself is scratched on the letter Y of May.

This really killed the excitement of getting a coronation coin. Is this the normal standard of the RM these days?

I suppose I would want to have it replaced (or a refund if this is the norm of the RM). What do you think? I don't want to pay for the insured postage back though.

568720423_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.7a3b7974c84899fde8bb18dc15113e43.jpg

• Sad 1

Sorry for that, but this kind of quality is seems the new normal of this big n rich organisation.  There are always loads of complaints in other forums re RM products, which maybe down to too many products launched. Comparing with Perth Mint, for example, quality is miles away.  I'd opt a replacement, as i really like the oz reverse design.  You may contact RM first to lodge a formal complaint n trying to seek for a guarantee of much better quality replacement before sending back.  Wish you good luck and have favourable feedback.

• Thanks 1

I have sent them an email and got an automated response. They are currently answering emails received over two months ago and so there is a long queue! Luckily it wasn't a high value item. 

The returns process is automated and free, but requires you to print off your own label. Quite frankly its the most efficient part of the RM now. Today I received a reply to an email I sent over 2 months ago, now they ask me for my order number, luckily I included it in the email title, shame they didn't read that bit. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sword said:

I have just received my coronation coin. It supposed to be signed for but the postie just left it on my doorstep.

When I opened the box, I was surprised by the lack of quality control. The plastic case is quite badly scratched where the date is. But the coin itself is scratched on the letter Y of May.

This really killed the excitement of getting a coronation coin. Is this the normal standard of the RM these days?

I suppose I would want to have it replaced (or a refund if this is the norm of the RM). What do you think? I don't want to pay for the insured postage back though.

568720423_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.7a3b7974c84899fde8bb18dc15113e43.jpg

I had the same problem with the proof Memorial Sovereign I ordered from the RM. 

*Three* times the coin had to be returned for replacement as each replacement had marks in the fields. The return postage was paid for by them on their returns page, but I was extremely disappointed with them. In the end I complained and told them to cancel the order and refund me. It then took a whole month to get my money back. Quite shocking really. I won't be ordering from them again as a matter of principal.

• Thanks 1

Rather sadly, I don't have any doubt now that shabbiness is the norm of the Royal mint. No respectable business would tell you that there is a two month wait for an email to be answered. 

• Like 2

Leave them a unhappy review on Trustpilot and you'll get a phone call tommorow offering an exchange or refund. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Thanks 1

Four words that I put together 30 years ago and has been my main mantra:

Hope    doesn't    change    reality.

What does anyone expect from the RM?

What?

On 5/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, Lotad said:

The returns process is automated and free, but requires you to print off your own label. Quite frankly its the most efficient part of the RM now. Today I received a reply to an email I sent over 2 months ago, now they ask me for my order number, luckily I included it in the email title, shame they didn't read that bit. 

I have just printed off the label asking for an exchange. I also managed to get to them on the phone and the chap said they will check before posting a replacement. Can't say I am convinced. Let's see what happens this time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I have just printed off the label asking for an exchange. I also managed to get to them on the phone and the chap said they will check before posting a replacement. Can't say I am convinced. Let's see what happens this time. 

Glad to hear that, wish everything is smooth n alright, and replacement is fine👍.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 10:05 PM, Sword said:

Each time I've had an exchange it's been a different coin and COA number. I gave up with my last one and opted for the refund.

It's six weeks since I sent it back for a replacement which has arrived today. It looks OK this time but I had to use a blower to remove the fine (white) hairs trapped inside the capsule. 

I do like the crowned portrait of the King and the reverse of the £2 and so this is my souvenir of the coronation. 

• Like 2

I am still somewhat surprised that I have a piedfort proof  kew gardens 50p with a great sliver of silver sticking off the edge it is not as if it is microscopic being about 4 mm long and 1 mm high.  I am going to assume it is an error minting and so may be more valuable , but as more and more mistakes are made perhaps I am assuming wrongly.  

I think the line between "errors" and RM "sloppiness" is a bit blur. Even proof coins are not very carefully made these days as illustrated by the thread on the Flying Scotsman.

Hence, my opinion is that minting quality issues should be classified as sloppiness and errors have to be much more in your face.

It seems to me that sloppiness in minting really doesn't matter at the RM, when they are knocking out coins for general circulation. Whether something has an error, a cud or whatever is irrelevant once it starts being spent. It may be of interest to us collectors, but as far as the mint goes I guess they see it in terms of numbers struck and whether they are of the recognised denomination. I'm not saying that they don't try to get things right, but it usually doesn't matter if they get it wrong on occasions. Errors also add to the collecting interest.

Things are different with the packaged sets and proof coins, which are clearly intended for collectors, and where quality does matter. Based on the Flying Scotsman saga, it seems to be that they have allowed some sloppiness to ease into the collecting sector of their business, when it shouldn't have. Having said this, it depends on what the sloppiness brings. The 1982 or is it 1983 New Pence/Two Pence coin is a case in point. Technically it was an error to allow the wrong dies to be used. In practice anybody with the 'wrong' coin can make a nice little profit, and collectors are happy to have picked up an error, so everyone is satisfied. 

I bought the new crown its a pretty handsome coin even if its not very adventurous the kings head with the crown seals it though..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

I bought the new crown its a pretty handsome coin even if its not very adventurous the kings head with the crown seals it though..

Glad you like it. The crown will always be one of the popular denominations to collect. I went for the less traditional "£2 ounce" only because I like the reverse design.

• Like 1

Do you mean "The brittannia" its a £2 coin that weighs an ounce?

3 hours ago, Sword said:

Glad you like it. The crown will always be one of the popular denominations to collect. I went for the less traditional "£2 ounce" only because I like the reverse design.

Me too, this is the only coronation coin acquired so far due to the same reason.  I'm considering to add a bullion 2023 sovereign to mark the coronation year collection.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, copper123 said:

Do you mean "The brittannia" its a £2 coin that weighs an ounce?

Not the Britannia. It is this one:

1094735650_uk23kcs1_1oz_silver_proof_coin_obverse-Copy.jpg.015dfb0229ed5e79da4e05e96466dcf2.jpg1212440946_uk23kcs1_1oz_silver_proof_coin_reverse-Copy.jpg.5e91e9dea199eb59ab03411d84e01d86.jpg

• Like 2

A lovely design none fussy and traditional -8 out of ten

minus 8 out of 10? :o

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

A lovely design none fussy and traditional -8 out of ten

It would have been better if the reverse design is more deeply engraved and the shield is convex. But the RM only do flat designs nowadays unfortunately. 

• Like 1

My coronation 5 coin set waiting for me in the UK.

IMG_2160.jpeg

• Like 1

And REV

IMG_2161.jpeg

• Like 1