British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Ah, Heavy Eyes Lost Me My Coin at Noonan's Today

Well no secret I live in the US and so 10 AM London auctions mean 5 AM start time here on the East Coast. So I got myself up in time and had a target of the 1904 Halfcrown and to "spy" on results on a few others (the 1839 currency and proof halfcrowns) that I already have but curious as to how they might do

So the auction was going on possibly a bit slow & grabbed 1/2 hour more quick sleep, checked the auction progress and saw I could grab another 1/2 hour - which I did. Unfortunately, I slept on through to Lot 326 (non-consequential). Damn! Missed the '04 which looked good from the pictures!

Don't know if anybody got that one (closed at 2200 plus commission) but was wondering if anybody held it in hand; the obverse bust of Eddy appeared to be very well struck with few or nearly no marks & the reverse very pleasant

By recall the two 1839s went for I think 4k and 3.8k plus commission....

Oh well, just a bit of a rant....(and I saved 3k or so quid!).....

I sympathise, Eric. Many's the time I've just done a "5 minute job" before my lot came up only to get engrossed and completely forget about until it's too late. The scars never heal !

Yes, maybe I can generalise to the "we". I confess I am addicted as I already have TWO mint state (at least by TPG standards) 1904s but this coin looked superior and somehow I missed it at Colin Cooke 20+ years ago when it was sold despite having a good customer relationship with CC. Ah well, you win some and lose others... I miss out on minor lots on ebay all the time, LOL.

I have been the beneficiary in the past of well healed buyers being caught off-footed and me getting coins I simply should not have been able to compete for.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, maybe I can generalise to the "we". I confess I am addicted as I already have TWO mint state (at least by TPG standards) 1904s but this coin looked superior and somehow I missed it at Colin Cooke 20+ years ago when it was sold despite having a good customer relationship with CC. Ah well, you win some and lose others... I miss out on minor lots on ebay all the time, LOL.

I have been the beneficiary in the past of well healed buyers being caught off-footed and me getting coins I simply should not have been able to compete for.

Talking of 1839 halfcrowns, I presume you got the Heritage Auctions 1839 proof halfcrown PF66+ at a very reasonable $38,400 and perhaps also the "pure silver" 1847 Gothic crown at $186,000. Maybe not!

That was a nice result for the halfcrown vendor as it sold 10 years ago for $10,500 at HA, so a nearly 300% increase. I hate to think what the Gothic crown vendor made. And telling the difference between pure silver and sterling silver might be difficult - the specific gravities of both would be close, and for that price increment you'd hope some test would be pretty clear-cut! Otherwise it's only a PF64 1847 Gothic crown, of which there must be loads around. Perhaps there's some spectroscopic method.

Sympathies Eric. I know how you feel for different reasons. I suppose in such a situation you could always got to bed 3 hours early the night before, but that's never as simple as it sounds. I think I'd be sharper bidding at 5am - especially if it was light outside - than at midnight.  

Sorry to hear that. Whenever I missed out on something in an auction because I forgot to leave a bid, I always console myself by saying that the winner might have gone a lot higher and, so I might not have got it anyway. And in this case you already have two MS already ...

• Like 1

Yes, sometimes I think that...If I had seen that in hand chances are I would not have minded going a fair bit up the scale.. My others are MS63 but that looked excellent.

No, I did not buy the 1839 2/6 at 38k. Mine I bought for 2500 and is the pictured coin on the PCGS pop reports that graded Deep Cam 63; of course it is mine but think it would have a good shot at 65 or above these days...Never got the Gothic crowns even when they were relatively cheap as I actually liked them on the florin size which as may guess I have a number of. But the bank account is not so great these days so probably good from that standpoint. In the good olde dayes I would have had an agent bid for me....