British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Kipster

Peck and Farthings

Evening all,

Just cataloguing some bits here and checking out the die pairings on some of my farthings. I've got an 1880 farthing (4 berries variety) which Freeman has as F541 with dies as 5 + D. Looking in Peck, he seems to mention Obv 5 as only having 3 berries though? Or have I got this all wrong? Not sure what to make of it, so any clarity gratefully received.

Ta.

2 hours ago, Kipster said:

Evening all,

Just cataloguing some bits here and checking out the die pairings on some of my farthings. I've got an 1880 farthing (4 berries variety) which Freeman has as F541 with dies as 5 + D. Looking in Peck, he seems to mention Obv 5 as only having 3 berries though? Or have I got this all wrong? Not sure what to make of it, so any clarity gratefully received.

Ta.

No expert on farthings, but generally speaking, I don't think Peck and Freeman obverses always match up. They certainly don't for pennies.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

No expert on farthings, but generally speaking, I don't think Peck and Freeman obverses always match up. They certainly don't for pennies.  

I am pretty sure that the penny series is much more complicated than farthings , I will put the obverse of my 1880 three berries on  this evening , they used to fetch big money in the seventies and eighties but the market is only luke warm at the best these days

• Like 1

Thanks both.

Yes, looking at them, the pennies are far more convoluted than the farthings, with only around 7 or 8 O's and R's at best. I probably paid over the odds for mine with BP, but it was a lovely coin and I wanted it. Sadly, it's been graded by NGC with a lovely piece of white toot sitting slap bang in the middle of Victoria's chest. May have to free it from the tomb as it bothers me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kipster said:

Thanks both.

Yes, looking at them, the pennies are far more convoluted than the farthings, with only around 7 or 8 O's and R's at best. I probably paid over the odds for mine with BP, but it was a lovely coin and I wanted it. Sadly, it's been graded by NGC with a lovely piece of white toot sitting slap bang in the middle of Victoria's chest. May have to free it from the tomb as it bothers me.

YES   set it FREE .......a ZOO for coins !!!!

37 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

YES   set it FREE .......a ZOO for coins !!!!

I have a few in the same situation. I reckon the people at NGC must eat their sandwiches whilst doing the grading. It's very off putting, especially when it's a really nice coin. That and all the strands of felt randomly attached all over the show.

31 minutes ago, Kipster said:

I have a few in the same situation. I reckon the people at NGC must eat their sandwiches whilst doing the grading. It's very off putting, especially when it's a really nice coin. That and all the strands of felt randomly attached all over the show.

I think they have so many difficulties with British coins it is very rare I trust the system especially the grading.  I have a couple of Countermarked Dollars G III over spanish 8 and 4 reales I keep entombed because there are so many counterfeits and I assume they know those better!!!!   I might be WRONG !!!

Just now, DrLarry said:

I think they have so many difficulties with British coins it is very rare I trust the system especially the grading.  I have a couple of Countermarked Dollars G III over spanish 8 and 4 reales I keep entombed because there are so many counterfeits and I assume they know those better!!!!   I might be WRONG !!!

Indeed. I've seen both sides of the grading and there's quite some variance. Some coins I look at and think "how did you get that as choice uncirculated" and others I look at and think "that's far and away better than you think".

But what do I know?

It's a pity LCGS (UK organisation attached to London Coins Auction) no longer grade and slab coins. Their grading was excellent (IMO) and the slabs never had any trace of annoying detritus trapped in the capsule. 

Personally though I don't like slabs and invariably smash them open to free the coin, as soon as I receive one.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kipster said:

Indeed. I've seen both sides of the grading and there's quite some variance. Some coins I look at and think "how did you get that as choice uncirculated" and others I look at and think "that's far and away better than you think".

But what do I know?

well whilst I am sure there is an exact set of parameters specific to a design that are worn down in circulation there is a nice book by D F Allen which when I started collecting was helpful with later milled .  then there are so many additional features that seem to come down to personal opinions, an opinion, yours or others, may well be valid so you can have your own view.  LOL  You will soon get told otherwise by those who know more 

1880 three berries

IMG_20230508_0001.jpg

Freeman 5 is Peck 4 for farthings (and Freeman 6 is Peck 5 - the three berries obverse).