British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Ukstu

Color Flying Scotsman £2 coin

Got this today. Not sure what to make of it. The quality is awful and it doesn't live up to what was displayed on the RM website.

The train looks derailed and is not level with the track and there is some doubling at the rear of the engine were the train is not seated correctly with the outline. 

2023-04-29-14-06-46.jpg

Seems i am not alone. Another one..Odd Flying Scotsman £2

I'd send it back.

• Like 2

Christ, that's dreadful. Are they that utterly inept, or is somebody deliberately taking the wotsit? 

It should be sitting dead straight on the track, not at a weird angle. Also, the wheels aren't flush with the rails - looks a bit like a partially derailed loco.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I'd send it back.

I think i will. There seems to be a few of these like its a mass production error. I've spotted another on eBay similar to mine and another were the rear of the train is elevated and the nose wheels are low on the rail. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385539173545

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404175330733

It's whether I'll get a correct replacement or not though as it's a limited edition. 

Edited by Ukstu
links added

This is how it should look (apparently). At least it's straight, but it's still a total mess. The wheels aren't in contact with the rails - they appear to be above them - and the smaller wheels are totally out of alignment with the other wheels. Correct that they're a different size, but they must be dead level at rail contact, not one set above or below the other. That's just absurd.   

This is how it actually looks - from a perfect perspective. Picture taken in 1924.

flying scotsman.jpg

5 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Got this today. Not sure what to make of it. The quality is awful and it doesn't live up to what was displayed on the RM website.

The train looks derailed and is not level with the track and there is some doubling at the rear of the engine were the train is not seated correctly with the outline. 

2023-04-29-14-06-46.jpg

Looks bloody awful. 

The Royal mint should lose that Royal title and be re-branded as The Mint 

It could be the train is taking off and flying into the sky...

Seriously, it is shocking quality control. It is still for sale at the RM and so they should be able to send you a proper replacement. Otherwise, I would ask for a refund and buy something else.

• Like 1

If only Terence Cuneo were still around. He could have done a magnificent job.  

The Royal Mint have done coloured coins before haven't they? Or is this pad-printed rather than painted?

Lying-Scotsman-550.jpg.1ca3b1ed27a52134c168423b87c8bd9e.jpg

• Haha 4

On 4/29/2023 at 7:37 PM, DrLarry said:

The Royal mint should lose that Royal title and be re-branded as The Mint 

... or even "The London Mint" or any of the others turning out scrap metal to the masses...

• Like 1