British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

I cannot imagine what this will fetch -but it will be a lot

Imagine yourself standing in front of a screaming British crowd, red cape draped behind you and a crown above your head. It’s a feeling that’s been reserved for a few monarchs, and one other legend: Freddie Mercury, lead singer of Queen in his final tour for the legendary band. Now, you too could feel like a Queen when his private collection goes on auction.

Sotheby’s has announced 1,500 items from Mercury’s private collection will go on auction in London this September. The collection includes costumes and lyrics from Mercury’s days in Queen, as well as artworks from Matisse and Picasso.

All the objects come from Mercury’s Garden Lodge home in the prestigious London neighbourhood of Kensington where he lived until his death in 1991. Sealed for over 30 years, the auction will give the public insight into the enigmatic singer’s life through the things he surrounded himself with.

“I like to be surrounded by splendid things. I want to lead a Victorian life, surrounded by exquisite clutter,” Mercury once said.

Before the auction, Sotheby’s is touring a display of its highlights across New York, Los Angeles, and Hong Kong in June, before coming to London in August for a month.

Yes, it will be a lot.

Poor chap died of what was then called "full blown aids" in the days before it became a much more manageable condition.

Yes, very sad, and of course it took dear Kenny Everett too.

I had a 38 year old studio engineer in the workshop this week who had never heard of Kenny Everett.....how quickly people are forgotten.

• Sad 2

I also wonder if Mary austin has actually done the right thing over the years , Freddies mansion, (It was a mansion) could have been opened to the public in a tastefull way of course ,and the garden lodge could have been a massive earner for AIDS charities instead of being  just another big house in chelsea .

Well what is done is done, and at least the majority of the cash will be heading to charity

Edited by copper123
  • Like 3

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I had a 38 year old studio engineer in the workshop this week who had never heard of Kenny Everett.....how quickly people are forgotten.

"Cupid Stunt" - the most risque spoonerism on TV.

• Like 3

"Mary hinge"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

"Cupid Stunt" - the most risque spoonerism on TV.

There's also another one I heard - "a policeman's truncheon can be used for cunning stunts, as well as......" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

There's also another one I heard - "a policeman's truncheon can be used for cunning stunts, as well as......" 

Caravan named one of their albums Cunning Stunts. Mind you, this was the band that had In The Land Of Grey And Pink, and If I Could Do It All Again, I'd Do It All Over You, among others...

• Like 1

A half decent band. :) Land of Grey and Pink is album I revisit regularly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Caravan named one of their albums Cunning Stunts. Mind you, this was the band that had In The Land Of Grey And Pink, and If I Could Do It All Again, I'd Do It All Over You, among others...

When you think of some of the songs that were around in the 1960's and 70's, you know there would be uproar today as some would cry, take offence, need counselling etc.

Such songs as "Maxwell's silver hammer" by the Beatles and "I'm gonna get me a gun" by Cat Stevens. Of course, just recently, there was a problem with Tom Jones's "Delilah". The Welsh Rugby Union banning it. Good luck with stopping the crowd singing it. 

Also, how about one that I heard for the first time just last year "Wet Dream" by Max Romeo, copyright 1969 - I just listened in disbelief. Incredible. Got into the charts, but the BBC wouldn't play it. You could hear it on some of the pirate radio stations, apparently.    

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I think the original was "What's the difference between a magician's wand and a policemen's truncheon ? Answer - one's used for cunning stunts and the other..........."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

"Wet Dream" by Max Romeo, copyright 1969

I remember that well - "Lay down girl, let me push it up, push it up". Subtle it wasn't.

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I remember that well - "Lay down girl, let me push it up, push it up". Subtle it wasn't.

and the last two words "in bed" :D

On 4/27/2023 at 11:03 PM, Rob said:

A half decent band. :) Land of Grey and Pink is album I revisit regularly.

Yeah - me too. A real classic.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:12 PM, secret santa said:

Absolutely nothing compared to Wreck A Buddy by the Soul Sisters!

"I need a man to wreck ′im buddy. A big, strong man to wreck 'Im buddy. And if he′s ugly, I don't mind - He has a dick and I want to grind I want to grind, I want to grind"

Pull up to the bumper baby...

15 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Absolutely nothing compared to Wreck A Buddy by the Soul Sisters!

"I need a man to wreck ′im buddy. A big, strong man to wreck 'Im buddy. And if he′s ugly, I don't mind - He has a dick and I want to grind I want to grind, I want to grind"

Although it doesn't appear to have been banned by the BBC - link

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Although it doesn't appear to have been banned by the BBC - link

that's because it was never a single - just a track on one of the Trojan compilations

• Haha 1

Je t'aime 😄

On 5/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, copper123 said:

Je t'aime 😄

Hey, you're not so bad either ;)

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:36 AM, blakeyboy said:

Pull up to the bumper baby...

...in your long black limousine.....ever looked into the lyrics?

BBC missed it...