British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Kipster

1865 farthing varieties

Afternoon all,

Just acquired this little piece and wondered if there was an 8 over 8 variety, or whether this was just an overstrike? I've looked in Freeman but can't see anything, but I know there are a couple of 5 over types.

Unfortunately I can't zoom in clearly on it, but hope it can be seen.

1865FarthingA.jpg

1865FarthingB.jpg

nice fat 8

14 hours ago, copper123 said:

nice fat 8

Lovely. Ta

I'd say it was a simple and straightforward repunching of the 8 and 6, a very very common phenomenon with early bronze.

• Like 1

The 65 is an interesting farthing especially the numerous over punching on the 5 .  I've enjoyed getting to know them in the past few years.  Characterful I suppose your could call them.  I think I do have some 8 or 8's I will look them out for you. 

I have taken a look at mine I have one with an 8 over an 8 there appear on mine to be two types of 8 used a small 8 and the much fatter 8 so I am guessing the one was overpunched on the the other.  I only have a population of  10 and tend to look for "errors" so not a scientific collection.  Lots of 5 over 3's and 5 over 3 and 2 and one with a 1 over a 1 .  Not sure if that helps but all these tiny things make a coin have extra personality 

• Haha 1