British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

1920 Half Crown, Superb

I got this specimen about 20 years ago and have treasured it since - 1920. Not quite as nice as the satin specimen “duck tailed” but pleasant nonetheless. I am challenged by posting decent photos let alone two or more.  I will try to show the reverse in a subsequent post. 

FDBD7670-5856-4F9C-A425-008EE01A05BD.jpeg

• Like 4

The reverse photo just does not demonstrate the matte-like surfaces.

FA66D0A5-E821-45CC-8BF8-0B4FDCCE8CC8.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

Nothing wrong with those photos.

Yes there is - I don't own the coin in them.

That's what's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

The reverse photo just does not demonstrate the matte-like surfaces.

FA66D0A5-E821-45CC-8BF8-0B4FDCCE8CC8.jpeg

Very nice.

If I can remember correctly, this coin came from the late John Welsh who some may remember. Always funny getting coins from him as a good number had enthusiastic grades or preservation (LOL) but on the other hand coins such as this or a number of patterns he managed to get for me were also had. I am not absolutely positive and perhaps some know more but I think he got hold of a couple of the ex-Pretoria mint collection coins [somehow]....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

If I can remember correctly, this coin came from the late John Welsh who some may remember. Always funny getting coins from him as a good number had enthusiastic grades or preservation (LOL) but on the other hand coins such as this or a number of patterns he managed to get for me were also had. I am not absolutely positive and perhaps some know more but I think he got hold of a couple of the ex-Pretoria mint collection coins [somehow]....

I got some very nice George iii coins from John Welsh in the nineties. Very nice to deal with I remember.

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I remember that his prices were fair for the coins he sold, but the grades were VERY optimistic. You didn't get the bargain you thought you were getting, but you didn't pay over the odds.

I was looking in my coin cabinet and noticed this 1920 halfcrown I had forgotten about. While not trying to compete with Vicky Silver's example  it is still  a reasonable  example with the tip of the King's ear well  struck and the lions faces on the reverse although there is some weakness at the top of the shield. I think some people are  attracted to te1920 issues.,including myself as it represents a major change in UK coins.  The marks on the reverse are not scratches but dirt.

Small File.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice piece there. I confess that I would be tempted to "conserve" the surfaces a bit. I rather like these nicer early '20s silver and especially the HC and florin. 

The weakness at the top of the shield is perfectly normal for these issues. Nice coin.

20 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Very nice piece there. I confess that I would be tempted to "conserve" the surfaces a bit. I rather like these nicer early '20s silver and especially the HC and florin. 

If the black "dirt" is lose on the surface, then the removal of it would improve the appearance significantly.

I remember putting a GV half crown into  2x2 adhesive holder for a few years and then decided to put it in a quadrum. The plastic lifts off some of the "dirt" when I removed the holder. Rather happy with the accidental "cleaning".

On 4/3/2023 at 4:32 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I remember that his prices were fair for the coins he sold, but the grades were VERY optimistic. You didn't get the bargain you thought you were getting, but you didn't pay over the odds.

I don't think over grading helps any seller in the long run. You just mentally end up lowering the grade by half grade before you even start at looking at the coin.

• Like 1

Yes that is what I did. However, thanks to John I filled in enormous date runs of 20th C. Minor silvers in decent grade at reasonable cost. 
There were a couple of denomination date combos that never did work and still have 3-4 1908 shillings that weren’t up to it as examples. But he did notify me of some very rare patterns which sold at sensible prices that would not be possible to replace nowadays and for these also I have been grateful. 
And for some reason (chance?) he would occasionally find the odd exceptional piece similar to the OP that would have me wondering at the source and oddly not particularly favoured in his catalogue descriptions or priced higher than other lesser pieces. 

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1