British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
evansuk2000

Advice on grade for this 1935 Raised Edge Crown

I love these coins and want to collect as many as possible. What do you guys think of this example? Any issues? Potential NGC grade? I know it's a lot to ask, so maybe just opinions on it's appearance.

1935 proof.jpg

• Like 2

Ah the good old rocking horse crown. A lovely coin as you say.

Not my speciality but using our UK type grades I'd say UNC, as opposed to FDC, but I stand to be corrected on that.

As for NGC, who knows. I'm not altogether sure of their consistency or accuracy these days.  

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Ah the good old rocking horse crown. A lovely coin as you say.

Not my speciality but using our UK type grades I'd say UNC, as opposed to FDC, but I stand to be corrected on that.

As for NGC, who knows. I'm not altogether sure of their consistency or accuracy these days.  

I was a bit worried about the 'hairlines'...but I seem to see this a lot on these proofs...is it that the blank coin was polished before minting?

28 minutes ago, evansuk2000 said:

I was a bit worried about the 'hairlines'...but I seem to see this a lot on these proofs...is it that the blank coin was polished before minting?

The hairlines are the only issue - otherwise it's not impaired. Would the hairlines prevent it being FDC? Possibly.

Proofs are indeed struck on specially prepared 'polished' blanks, which is why handling must be very very careful especially no rubbing, which is how hairlines can appear.

A lovely coin, but you could never expect FDC with hairlines, surely? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evansuk2000 said:

I love these coins and want to collect as many as possible. What do you guys think of this example? Any issues? Potential NGC grade? I know it's a lot to ask, so maybe just opinions on it's appearance.

1935 proof.jpg

Not sure why you would want to get as many as possible - anyway, 1 down, 2499 to go. Bon chance.

As for this one, it was graded nFDC this time, and aFDC in the previous sale catalogue in 2011, which is likely just the preference of different cataloguers, but essentially says it's not quite there. NGC grade? Anything from details to PF71 - I wouldn't even try to second guess the outcome, and unless you want to sell it in the US, why bother? It has cost you just over £800 today plus shipping, to which you will have to add grading and shipping costs to and from the TPG and still run the risk of disappointment. You don't get a refund for an unfavourable opinion.

So you are looking at a final cost around this year's book price for FDC when consensus is it definitely isn't.

This is one area that they are pretty consistent (re: hairlines). I would see this as a 62 at NGC and probably cameo, not quite Deep Cameo. These look fairly obvious to be post strike as many could not resist the odd swipe at the coin's surface. I have seen many graded and have a couple of 63 Cameos that are just a bit better.

I really like the nice clean cheek on George as usually this is besought with some issues, though less so on the Jub. proof. The real treasure is to find one on the currency - that is with a nice clean cheek and high point bony structures. For some reason the sword shaft seems to find more than its share of marks (on currency).

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Not sure why you would want to get as many as possible - anyway, 1 down, 2499 to go. Bon chance.

As for this one, it was graded nFDC this time, and aFDC in the previous sale catalogue in 2011, which is likely just the preference of different cataloguers, but essentially says it's not quite there. NGC grade? Anything from details to PF71 - I wouldn't even try to second guess the outcome, and unless you want to sell it in the US, why bother? It has cost you just over £800 today plus shipping, to which you will have to add grading and shipping costs to and from the TPG and still run the risk of disappointment. You don't get a refund for an unfavourable opinion.

So you are looking at a final cost around this year's book price for FDC when consensus is it definitely isn't.

I understand all this, and in the current market with fees I feel it’s a decent price. The NGC grade makes a big difference, you won’t find an NGC 64 going for under £1300 before fees.

I’ll send it off, take the risk and see what they say. Last one I bought for £800 was graded PF64 so happy with that.

Personally think this could come back as a details grade with those REV hairlines, just. my opinion, it’s always a lottery with NGC.

On 3/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, evansuk2000 said:

No, the mint wiped them after striking like the 1902s before putting them into their boxes, seen a lot of 1902s with details grades due to this

Edited by azda

Well, there certainly can be planchet prep but generally what would be on the lookout for is DIE PREP and if that was the case the lines you see would be raised, or in relief. Many planchets, and even those destined for special proofs or patterns were NOT treated well and these can be seen in perusal of the coin....

15 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Well, there certainly can be planchet prep but generally what would be on the lookout for is DIE PREP and if that was the case the lines you see would be raised, or in relief. Many planchets, and even those destined for special proofs or patterns were NOT treated well and these can be seen in perusal of the coin....

Thank you all for your replies and expertise! I've attached 2 more NGC examples I found online with similar characteristics...one was NCG 64, and one 64+! Very interesting. One below, and the next in another reply.

336522409_6199592096772306_9049500382418665600_n.jpg

• Like 1

I like these rocking horse crowns also and have one example of the RE proof. The coin above has presumably been graded ultra cameo and I wonder if this has affected the numeric grading?

I also wonder if there has been any attempt to adjust the contrast to make the frosting more apparent. If so, I imagine it would make the "hairlines" a lot more noticeable. 

Please note the vast difference in the type of hairlines from the OP to the last cited....