British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Frack

Need help identifying coins please

My late mum kept these coins with her at all times saying they were 'worth a bit'. I think the gold coloured one is a sovereign but I'm not entirely sure.

Could anyone shed any light please and whether they actually do have any value?

Thanks very much

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9130.jpg

Edited by Frack

The first one is a pewter replica of an Elizabeth I threepence, worth around £1 unfortunately.

• Like 1

And the second one also looks like a replica or copy: there appears to be some silvery metal showing through the "gold" where the coin is damaged above the queen's head. Copies of sovereigns are incredibly prevalent, sadly. If so, it would have basically no value at all. Sorry.

• Like 1

The top one is definitely a copy . The sovereign may be an ex mount with the silvery metal being left over solder , but as stated , they are commonly faked , so hard to tell from a pic.

Edited by mick1271
spelling
  • Like 1

the second one the gold does not look like a typical chinese copy although I can only download  small version  ...do you know what the weight is? 

A genuine sovereign weighs 7.98 grams, so I am even more suspicious. Wonder if it is correct diameter, and, more significantly, thickness? Suspect strongly a lead-based core (the silvery stuff showing through) and then gilded. The fact it was with another pewter forgery also makes me very dubious.

The only way to be certain is to take it to a reputable jeweller for proper appraisal including chemical testing.

Edited by Martinminerva
  • Like 1