British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

will1976

Indo Parthian Satrap?

Hello all, it's a long while since I've posted. This little coin was bought with others I wanted in a job lot and I'm trying to find out more about the finder Lt Col Leigh and if it's a known or famous hoard that was found. I'm assuming it isn't as I can't find any information about it. Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated 

20230216_084500.jpg

• Like 1

20230216_084427.jpg

20230216_084340.jpg

A belated reply. I can't help with Col Leigh, however the coin is not at all scarce. A couple of years ago I bought a job lot at an auction of over 100 of these early Indian sub-continent coins for very little money. I suspect in the modern age of metal detectors they are turning up in huge numbers in India. They were low value when they were made and have remained that way!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paddy said:

A belated reply. I can't help with Col Leigh, however the coin is not at all scarce. A couple of years ago I bought a job lot at an auction of over 100 of these early Indian sub-continent coins for very little money. I suspect in the modern age of metal detectors they are turning up in huge numbers in India. They were low value when they were made and have remained that way!

Welcome back Paddy! Great to have you back.

• Like 1

Thanks Paddy. I thought that would be the case when I could find nothing out regarding Col Leigh

Ah. just realised...this is is referring to the Parthians, who used the Palintonos, or 'bent backwards' composite bow,

that can be used when retreating, hence 'Parthian shot", corrupted down to "Parting shot"...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, Paddy said:

Many thanks Paddy. I thought as much! I've found nothing out about the Colonel either 

• Like 1