British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Menger

1839 proof maundy

I think these are “proof” - but they are horizontal axis strikes; maundy in the proof sets of this year were vertical axis strikes. I thus suspect these coins were part of one of the 1839 proof sets reportedly produced in later years. To me this adds to the fascination of the coins.

Sadly I am missing the penny (they came with what was clearly a standard Maundy penny - without the same mirror fields, polish marks and frosty devices). 

Please let me know if you have or ever see a horizontal axis struck “proof” (like) penny that is available!!

The die crack in the 3d is identical to that in an NGC graded proof Maundy set currently for sale by Atlas Numismatics - and I suspect that set also was a later strike. (Which would explain the imperfections such as the die crack and less than perfect denticles).

I am interested if anyone else in the forum has a different theory on what these may be - or has seen similar. 

5A515C3D-0404-4638-8EBF-F8A0926B4ACB.jpeg

Edited by Menger
  • Like 1