British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

March 2023 LCA catalogue now out

link

For me there is one outstanding coin, and that is the VIGTORIA penny (estimates £500 to £1500). Lot 1677. Probably be above max as it's in pretty good nick for a VIGTORIA.

There is also another die No 4 under date. Lot 1678. Quite possibly the worst one yet in terms of wear.   

• Like 1

IMHO, likely will be a bloodbath on that one Sir....Good Luck to ya...

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Well, you say that, but with LCA. there is a big problem with certainty. As far as I can tell (and feel free to correct me because I'm far from certain), the auction is held in private behind closed doors. There doesn't seem to be an address for a room auction over the two days, and it's certainly not live over the internet, nor is there any indication of how to telephone bid - so no bidding war in real time. Consequently no bidder will have any idea what anyone else has bid - so whether you bid successfully depends largely on pre auction judgement on what others will likely bid. 

If there is a room auction where is it, and where is it shown in the website, because it's not exactly hitting me in the eye.

Not that I can afford it either way, on this occasion.    

Yes, there is far too many uncertainty in LCA auction, which makes my bids used to more prudence than any live bids.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

As has always been the case, their whole M.O. really escapes me. It could be just me but I can not but believe that they would bring in more bids and money by going "standard" with their auctions.

Not that anyone probably cares much, but there is really not a lot (ie. near to nothing) of interest to me. A lot of miscellaneous sovereigns, with a few good ones thrown in, and tons of later commem. gold schlock is my general impression.

• Like 2

Once again, nothing of interest there for me.

Despite being a regular bidder and buyer for well over a decade, they didn't even send me a printed catalogue this time (they did this for a spell once before); I much prefer to read a paper catalogue thoroughly than browse a ponderous website, so I won't be putting in any bids. Not very good business acumen...

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Despite being a regular bidder and buyer for well over a decade, they didn't even send me a printed catalogue this time (they did this for a spell once before); I much prefer to read a paper catalogue thoroughly than browse a ponderous website, so I won't be putting in any bids. Not very good business acumen...

I actually paid £5 to be on their mailing list a year or so back. Have I ever received a catalogue? No. 😠

2 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

13 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

I actually paid £5 to be on their mailing list a year or so back. Have I ever received a catalogue? No. 😠

This LCA catalogue malarkey is well and truly confusing. I joined their mailing list for a catalogue in about 2017 and received my first one in 2020. Had them regularly ever since.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, VickySilver said:

£3,200 hammer - not a surprise as it's a superior specimen.

link

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:
On 2/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, VickySilver said:

£3,200 hammer - not a surprise as it's a superior specimen.

link

Anyone on here get it? Hope so!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:32 PM, Martinminerva said:

Anyone on here get it? Hope so!

Guilty !

1903928064_1862VIGTORIAobv.thumb.jpg.c4879056ea4931330f37df76665eb3d0.jpg

• Like 8

Surprise!  Uh, no. Nice!

That's two nice VIGTORIA'S you've now got Richard !!!

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

That's two nice VIGTORIA'S you've now got Richard !!!

Like London buses, you wait ages for one and then two come along at once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When selling on eBay.....

" Extremely rare coin. I've only got 2 "

😂

• Haha 1