British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
alfnail

Gold coin import

Could anyone advise tax position if I were to win a gold coin in a USA auction please? I. E. Will import tax be payable, or is gold treated differently to my previous bronze / copper purchases? Thanks in advance

I believe gold is treated differently, as I asked the same question to the auction house when I was bidding on something over there. They have a branch here in the UK, and this was their reply:

"...There is also an import duty of 5% on coins that are not bullion. If they are bullion, there is no import applicable."

That said, maybe it's because they have a branch here that they are able to do this by getting the coins shipped office to office. I wouldn't like to categorically say no. Sorry if that's vague.

There's no VAT on investment gold. It depends on what the coin is. I think investment gold goes back to the introduction of the sovereign in 1817. If you look at past catalogues, then these onwards have a g against the lot indicating they are investment gold, but up to the end of the 18th century it may well apply at the 5% rate.

Thanks Rob. It's a 1996 coin 99.9% gold (1000 minted) with bullion value approx $1600. Sounds like it should be zero vat then, do you agree? 

I think it should be zero VAT. The main thing is that it is recorded as investment gold on the import paperwork.