British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

Has Ebay changed its closing process ?

I wasn’t clockwatching, I had set up my usual 3 second snipe, just in case of interruptions or outages.

Jerry

I'm relieved that other people have seen this issue, so it's not just me.

I have noticed something else that was different on the last time of making a snipe bid. I placed my bid amount 30 seconds before item ended and when the confirm box appeared it requested me to type in my maximum bid again. The auction ended before I actually read the request and typed in the amount etc. Know one else have mentioned this happening, so maybe this was a glitch, or I did something wrong.

I have noticed that the timing changes or gets "locked" and is different from the app and the pc in the past 6 months I just put it down to age ....mine not ebay's 

20 hours ago, jelida said:

I had set up my usual 3 second snipe

Just as a matter of interest, how can you do that now if the listing doesn't tell you at what seconds it finishes?! As shown above, it is very rare that a listing ends at 00 seconds, so how do you know when 3 seconds before the end actually is?!

Or is it automatic? But then, how does the software know at what seconds it finishes?!

I am a bit bamboozled!!

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Just as a matter of interest, how can you do that now if the listing doesn't tell you at what seconds it finishes?! As shown above, it is very rare that a listing ends at 00 seconds, so how do you know when 3 seconds before the end actually is?!

Or is it automatic? But then, how does the software know at what seconds it finishes?!

I am a bit bamboozled!!

I'm assuming he meant 3 seconds before the clock countdown ends on the item page (even if it doesn't, actually..)

10 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

even if it doesn't, actually..

Exactly my point! How can sniping, either manually or automatically be relied upon now?

Please enlighten us, Jerry!

38 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Exactly my point! How can sniping, either manually or automatically be relied upon now?

Please enlighten us, Jerry!

Sniping, whether manual or automatic, can't operate properly if the e bay clock is all over the place as it was last night.

Moreover, if the exact second is hidden from view, that is an added issue, as even if the clock were running correctly, if the time given was 21:30, but with seconds included it's 21:30:56, that would make a huge difference.

2 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

I am a bit bamboozled!!

It’s automatic, I use Auction Stealer, and find it very successful, never missed a bid. I can set a bid days in advance, so if I have other commitments no problem. But I do put in my maximum bid, some you win some you lose. I occasionally give them a few dollars, and get a three second prior rather than ten second bid. They must have some direct access to the EBay system, and avoid issues with local broadband outages and upload speeds etc, so much less risky than hovering over the computer,  though I occasionally watch my bid go in.

Jerry

11 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Just as a matter of interest, how can you do that now if the listing doesn't tell you at what seconds it finishes?!

As an auction nears completion, the time remaining shows in seconds and counts down before your eyes. If you've input your bid but not confirmed it, you are able to time confirmation for a few seconds before closure. But I have done this only to find that the remaining time changes and sometimes to over a minute remaining.

I use a refreshingly simple system- I bid what I feel is my maximum when I see the listing.

The last minute bid to be 'clever' bores me - I have a very full busy life and I don't need to turn an auction into a mind game with strangers.

'Snipe' - 'Stealer' - what do those names convey?

There you go.

Blake, you're missing out on of the few moments of genuine excitement available to a poor old pensioner like myself.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

Blake, you're missing out on of the few moments of genuine excitement available to a poor old pensioner like myself.

No, my surveillance cameras catch pretty much everything.....:-)

11 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I use a refreshingly simple system- I bid what I feel is my maximum when I see the listing.

The last minute bid to be 'clever' bores me - I have a very full busy life and I don't need to turn an auction into a mind game with strangers.

There you go.

I'm not sure it's a mind game in the closing stages. The whole thing is over too quickly for it to be that.

It might be more of a mind game in the earlier stages. 

I manually snipe in the closing stages in order to secure coins I want.....although if it carries on the way it is doing, there won't be much point.  

13 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

There you go.

The problem with a maximum bid is when you later find out it went for one bid higher - being the underbidder in those circumstances can be frustrating.

Sniping with 7 seconds to go is - as Richard says - genuinely exciting! What bores me is searching minutely through 00's of listings in the hope of finding that elusive bargain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

The problem with a maximum bid is when you later find out it went for one bid higher - being the underbidder in those circumstances can be frustrating.

Sniping with 7 seconds to go is - as Richard says - genuinely exciting! What bores me is searching minutely through 00's of listings in the hope of finding that elusive bargain.

Hmm..why would I worry if outbid?

Someone wants to pay more than me?

I let them have it.

Paying more than you wanted, often with a buyers premium, for something that everyone has seen, is how you lose when you think you are winning.

Real fun comes from finding something really cheap as a surprise in the bottom of a box etc., and you also then have a story!

8 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Hmm..why would I worry if outbid?

Someone wants to pay more than me?

I let them have it.

Paying more than you wanted, often with a buyers premium, for something that everyone has seen, is how you lose when you think you are winning.

Real fun comes from finding something really cheap as a surprise in the bottom of a box etc., and you also then have a story!

Happens only very rarely though.

There are rare occasions when you have no idea what a particular rare coin will go for and you have to be prepared to make last minute decisions on how much you want it and how much you'll pay for it. Be still, my beating heart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Happens only very rarely though.

I remember a dealer at the Midland who had a huge box of mixed coins marked at 25p each or 5 for £1. I looked at it a bit dubiously and the dealer said "I've not checked through that so you might find some bargains?" Not only were there some pre-1920 florins and shillings in there, there was also an 1888 6d EF, and a 1951 3d Unc with good lustre. When I showed them to Stephen Lockett, he dashed off and made an offer for the whole box to the other dealer!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:38 PM, jelida said:

I’m afraid I was under bidder there, so cost you a few quid! I’m not too sad, as I already have several small date including one in very similar condition. But not a bad price anyhow, we’ll done!

Jerry

It arrived today. Very pleased, looks as good in hand as the seller's pics. £170 odd is actually quite a decent price.  

I had already got an 1858 small date in similar grade, but scruffy looking with spots all over it. 

• Like 1