British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Bronze & Copper Collector

Assistance Requested re: Identification Please

Would someone possibly please identify the imaged coin and possibly give an estimated value.

This is not my coin. I am researching for an acquaintance. I do not have the coin in my possession and these are the only images that I have.

With no actual knowledge of the coin, I would hypothesize that it might be a Greek Tetradrachm or something in that family.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

20221221_174330.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

The tetradrachm was widely used ultimately - the entire Hellenic world as ruled by Alexander, and also Classical Egytp?

I can't give you more information about this particular one except to say that Herakles on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse was a fairly common design. If I could read the Greek legend more easily I'd transcribe it for you.

This one is quite similar - a Ptolemy tetrad... https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bishopandmiller/catalogue-id-bishop10063/lot-ae6296b4-5623-44e9-a317-a8b200fe66c2

Edited by Peckris 2