British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Possible fake 1905 Halfcrown

The Ebay listing shows a 1905 halfcrown for sale. Looking at the I in QUI  it looks very similar to the example of a forgery from these forums although the  Ebay screenshot is low definition due to restrictions to image size on these forums. Any opinions would be useful given the price for this coin. Caveat Emptor

Screenshot 2022-12-08 184954.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-08 184237.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo
  • Like 1

Agree that it doesn't look alright.  The area around ear in obverse is a bit weird too?

Is there anyway Predecimal can notify Ebay of doubt concerning this listing as I would hate to see someone taken in by this coin as a member of this forum was in the past. I’ve tried in the past but Ebay ignores these complaints and may take more notice from an organization such as the Predecimal Forum

do you have the link to ebay?

I looked at Ebay's complaints procedure. I think you have to find the listing from its  Ebay listing #  255868114069. I am happy to contact the seller along with the Predecimal picture as evidence. I am not accusing the seller as trying to sell a fake coin as he may well be unaware of the possibility.

I have just messaged him,  maybe others should do likewise. He seems an established EBay dealer, he is probably unaware.

Jerry

• Like 3

I have already had a nice reply from ‘Jenni’ thanking me for the info, and stating that she is pulling the coin to have it independently assessed, as she does not sell fakes. An innocent but expensive mistake I suspect sadly.

Jerry

• Like 3

I also contacted the seller and received a similar reply. I think its a case of someone buying the coin in good faith  not

realizing the possibility  of it being a fake.