British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MATTGBC

Edward the Confessor Facing bust/small cross

Could anyone help me figure out the mint/moneyer on this facing bust/short cross penny?

I have been looking in North but can't find a match!

confessor penny.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if the moneyer is Gildepine (Gildewine)  who North lists at Leicester. I can’t see that in the mint name though. The reverse seems to read 

‘GILDEPINE ON ‘ and then a letter or two  that may be a gross abbreviation due to lack of space.  I will try the EMC database.

Jerry

Another Edward the Confessor penny of Gildepine at Canterbury, the latter given as CA.     

Jerry

c.1065-1066AD) Spink 1184, BMC XV - Pyramids Type, +GILDEPINE ON CA - Moneyer Gildewine at Canterbury Mint. Good portrait and clear legends with a solid flan. (HHC5568) Anglo-Saxon Silver Coin

Edward_The_Confessor_Penny_HHC5568.JPG

Edited by jelida
Addition

8 minutes ago, jelida said:

The BM mentions two coins of Gildepine , both of Canterbury, no pics though. But the mint name on yours may well begin with ‘C’.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG108550

Jerry

Think you're right. Looks like GILDEPINE ON C

I guess if spacing was an issue they would lose the A after the C. 

Stu. 

43 minutes ago, jelida said:

I wonder if the moneyer is Gildepine (Gildewine)  who North lists at Leicester. I can’t see that in the mint name though. The reverse seems to read 

‘GILDEPINE ON ‘ and then a letter or two  that may be a gross abbreviation due to lack of space.  I will try the EMC database.

Jerry

Thankyou, really appreciate the identification! i've been collecting for 20 years but i'm still relatively inexperienced with Anglo Saxon!