British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HistoricCoinage

Replica Cut Halfpenny?

28 minutes ago, HistoricCoinage said:

Yes. It looks like one of those silver coin copies you get from Ireland off eBay. Reported ! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255695189215

Edited by Ukstu
Typo

It looks a lot less "blobby" than the ones from ireland.  It always worries me a lot buying saxon coins as much as I love them it is hard to trust these days.  I am interested because I would like to learn about hammered and it is important for me to understand how your look at these irregularities  

s-l400 (6).jpgs-l400 (4).jpg

s-l400 (5).jpgs-l400 (3).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

13 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

It looks a lot less "blobby" than the ones from ireland.  It always worries me a lot buying saxon coins as much as I love them it is hard to trust these days 

Did you click on the link i posted? 

Its the same coin just been cut in half. 

49 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Did you click on the link i posted? 

Its the same coin just been cut in half. 

yes I looked at both, the first "fake" one the engraving looks continuous whereas the second appears to be irregular somehow.  Of course it is hard when the first is dirtied up .  I am sure you are right it was just an observation there is a considerable difference in the two the cut of the ornamentation in the cloak is a series of dots cf. a straight cut in the original  

Edited by DrLarry

I never looked at the obverse. The reverse was clear enough to see it's the same coin.

They are becoming more common on eBay now. There was a John Irish half penny a few months ago as well. Same coins from Ireland. 

Looked like someone had put it through a rock tumbler to knock it about and add wear. I reported it but it went on to sell as usual. 

Edited by Ukstu

The one Clive posted is struck further down the line than the one i posted so you've got wear on the die but its essentially the same coin. What are the chances of an original and a copy having these same features. That's all i compared it on quickly. 

JointPics_20221127_134406.JPG

• Like 1