British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thomas Engelen has told myself and Kai that he has amended his book on Toy Cardboard coins to include a few new ones that have come form the contacts within this group so thank you to him and to Kai and myself I suppose for offering up new examples.  I will try find the link and post it again.  It is free on the Newman Numismatics  Portal and is a fascinating read. 

• Thanks 1

To reiterate my apology. I now know the new owner of the box lid above US Dollar and I'm sure we will have better information on it soon. 

Books and references: 

Please list any books you use to identify or study any aspect of toy coins;gaming tokens; miniatures .  It would be helpful share this with new collectors.  

I found something very exciting the other day which I will post very soon it is bizarre sometimes you can be reading about something rare and it suddenly appears ....ANTICIPATION !!!   MARKETING TEASER 

• Haha 1

Would have been fantastic with a few original coins in there

On 4/24/2023 at 7:01 PM, copper123 said:

WHAT THE BOX i WON? 

ok WELL IT SHOULD ARRIVE TOMORROW .. I Have been at a conference all week so it is at the post office 

This is Lauers round box  box number 4225 unseen by Rogers RRR* I will have to check if Gunter had one :  The contents appear to be a full set of the Diamond Jubilee  1897 :  Winged Cherub with stork design 

s-l1600 (6) (340x255).jpgs-l1600 (7) (340x255).jpg

s-l1600 (8) (340x255).jpgs-l1600 (9) (340x255).jpg

s-l1600 (10) (340x255).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

It is for me a rare find and I am so happy to have caught it quickly and I think it is one of my favourite boxes 

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

when they arrive I will look closely because I am pretty certain that they are a set and would suggest that a boxed sets  can show variable amounts of disintegration of the  coating 

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

On 4/24/2023 at 7:01 PM, copper123 said:

Oh you mean the box lid that was purchased?  yes the american sets are as you know pretty rare to find 

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

Wow, great , a much rarer set than  1902 and 1887 sets are much more common ,wish i could afford to buy sets like that in the original box it must have cost a pretty penny

15 hours ago, copper123 said:

Wow, great , a much rarer set than  1902 and 1887 sets are much more common ,wish i could afford to buy sets like that in the original box it must have cost a pretty penny

no it was £50 I think it was just down to luck  to be honest and searching constantly .  should arrive today so I will have to check if it is or is not a set.  I have been been chatting with Thomas about the coatings and I wonder if in party, it may be the reaction to the metal of the boxes or exposure to variable amounts of air and moisture even inside the box.  Or even temperature if we think the coatings are tin or alloys of. 

Edited by DrLarry

I would say its worth £120 minimum there again it take two to start a bidding war.

A couple of the silver coins don't look to clever but as a whole its a great set

I will have to carry on picking them up as singles :0)

Edited by copper123

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

I would say its worth £120 minimum there again it take two to start a bidding war.

A couple of the silver coins don't look to clever but as a whole its a great set

I will have to carry on picking them up as singles :0)

I have taken a good look and whilst there is some loss of coating on some of the silver coins there is no wear or damage so I'm pretty sure it is a set. I would say the box would be about that for a full set a great find .  It will help the research. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

I have taken a good look and whilst there is some loss of coating on some of the silver coins there is no wear or damage so I'm pretty sure it is a set. I would say the box would be about that for a full set a great find .  It will help the research. 

I did say minimum , it could also fetch a lot more , if its unlisted by rogers it makes it really rare , could fetch anything....

I often wonder how many people actually collect these. TBH I was surprised that 3 people in this thread are interested given the near total lack of interest shown by visitors to the table. I've had a couple pieces in there for 7 or 8 years that nobody has looked at and those that sold off the site all went abroad.

• Sad 1

Here is something that isn’t seen too often. This is part of a set that would have had 2 loops on the back and would’ve slid along wires (similarly to an abacus I guess). There are not many around, and even less with the loops still attached. 

Hoping to get my hands on some more in a few weeks, will update the thread when they come in.

F6AECBA9-BA3C-4A89-850F-A3FA3B86F750.jpeg

E7C387DE-5E61-48A1-B4AF-85C2CA8A2052.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rob said:

I often wonder how many people actually collect these. TBH I was surprised that 3 people in this thread are interested given the near total lack of interest shown by visitors to the table. I've had a couple pieces in there for 7 or 8 years that nobody has looked at and those that sold off the site all went abroad.

There aren’t too many that I’m aware of, but a handful - perhaps 10.

A big thank you to Larry and others who have kept this thread updated regularly with fresh material. 

• Like 2

I surpose rarity puts a lot off, who wants to wait five years for a set you want off ebay when we live in a "I want it now " society and people simply expect everything delivered at the push of a button.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I surpose rarity puts a lot off, who wants to wait five years for a set you want off ebay when we live in a "I want it now " society and people simply expect everything delivered at the push of a button.

yes I suspect that is the riddle of the collector in general.  I have to admit that when I start collecting something , as a child fossils, then minerals and later antiquities I always want there to be a research and development of my mind aspect.  Even as I paint I keep most of my work dated in order to see how my mind develops over time.  I find the instant gratification society difficult to process and it is my firm belief that many younger people are turning back to old ways in lots of aspects of their lives.  It starts with vinyl records now it is is cassettes and I think the same will happen with food as people become tired of processed food and instant meals.   

1 hour ago, kai1998inc said:

A big thank you to Larry and others who have kept this thread updated regularly with fresh material. 

thank you Kai ,  so far it has been a lot of fun.  Likely not the correct place for the thread as I have said but to have it at least opens the possibility of others getting engaged with this part of the history of coins.  I just find them novel and engaging myself and I hope it helps us find other new things out about them.  Finding Thomas Engelen through Gunter and yourself as a younger collector together with Copper and a few others have kept me going.   So thanks to you all  

• Like 1

Here is something that isn’t seen too often. This is part of a set that would have had 2 loops on the back and would’ve slid along wires (similarly to an abacus I guess). There are not many around, and even less with the loops still attached. 

Hoping to get my hands on some more in a few weeks, will update the thread when they come in.

F6AECBA9-BA3C-4A89-850F-A3FA3B86F750.jpeg

E7C387DE-5E61-48A1-B4AF-85C2CA8A2052.jpeg

oh I see now ...I understand the counting teaching ....I did wonder why the solder was on the back 

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Well yes , Rogers when he was writing back in the 90's thought there were maybe 20 collectors world wide.  I know we are a little niche but the depth of the engraving and the mass production (minting !) they have a wonderful quality of design and execution ( well the Lauer ones at least)  And we should be proud that ur connection with Germany in the 19thC meant that the UK market was perhaps the largest one.  There are certainly a lot more variations in our currency types from the George III type through the young heads and Jubilee heads.  they are like puppies ....little bundles of joy LOL 

• Haha 1

Even Rogers knew there were more than that - after all there were 100 copies of his book made , and they are pretty hard to find at this time.

I have wanted one for ages