British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

You can see the compleatly different size letters on these two counters one quite small and the other large - really interesting

WOW thats one hell of a large collection you have there larry - god knows how much its cost you over the years .

Looking forward to York tommorow I usually find my best stuff in the winter as well

14 hours ago, copper123 said:

IMG_20230117_0001.jpg

are these to Hannover tokens? 

WOW thats one hell of a large collection you have there larry - god knows how much its cost you over the years .

Looking forward to York tommorow I usually find my best stuff in the winter as well

oh are you a dectorist?

You can see the compleatly different size letters on these two counters one quite small and the other large - really interesting

I suppose these difference should be explained by the quantities they were minted and reminted in either by one company or by several.  I have never really done a lot of research into them.

I have only been collecting them since about 2016 so not too long really , some of the older members on here seem to have been collecting for decades.  In terms of the cost I dont think it has cost too much and now that I have spent it it all falls away into the past and I dont feel the "pain" LOL.  I keep convincing myself that as I am collecting it to eventually donate it to the charity to sell , I can justify spending on it.  The problem is with that it means that I must catalogue it all with photos and notes so that some other poor soul has to sell it after I have dropped dead.....I keep on having near misses way too often in fact LOL .  

I just love tiny things anything miniature well made ...even the dogs are mutant tiny elongated creatures   .....daschunds !!!!!

• Haha 1

Does anyone else have any D & Co's toy coins? 

John Cooke and Sons : these are described as advertising pieces .  Rogers says the differences are mainly in the composition and the finishing.  I have been fortunate last year or sometime during the lost years (covid years) to have found a small haul and this gave me a chance to sift through them carefully and I identified a number of variations in the design  which I think gives us the six listed  Rogers #'s 495 to 497a  under section 17 of the book pages 62 and 63.  These new variants I have found differ in the positioning of the legend letters and the size of the letters.   There is also a variation in the die alignment as a medal strike and one as a coin strike.  It would be interesting to understand the process of manufacture and pressing of these tokens in general and I will have to attempt to find out more information 

The quality of these John Cooke and sons pieces is very high .  If you have any please list them I will take photos over the following days.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, DrLarry said:

John Cooke and Sons : these are described as advertising pieces .  Rogers says the differences are mainly in the composition and the finishing.  I have been fortunate last year or sometime during the lost years (covid years) to have found a small haul and this gave me a chance to sift through them carefully and I identified a number of variations in the design  which I think gives us the six listed  Rogers #'s 495 to 497a  under section 17 of the book pages 62 and 63.  These new variants I have found differ in the positioning of the legend letters and the size of the letters.   There is also a variation in the die alignment as a medal strike and one as a coin strike.  It would be interesting to understand the process of manufacture and pressing of these tokens in general and I will have to attempt to find out more information 

The quality of these John Cooke and sons pieces is very high .  If you have any please list them I will take photos over the following days.

A FEW PICS WOULD BE NICE

On 1/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, DrLarry said:

Does anyone else have any D & Co's toy coins? 

ARE THESE DEFINATELY ATTRIBUTED TO MOORE?

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

A FEW PICS WOULD BE NICE

of course   some examples showing the variation in the finish and metal 

CM230122-155758013 (620x640).jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

Not as far as I am aware 

CM230122-124044007 (640x593).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

One type are set medal and the other coin .  I am not 100 % I am sure about what I am about to say but it may be that these were struck with a die method rather than mould pressed in sheets.  On the these two the outline of the obverse can be seen on the reverse like a die clash .  I assume if these are mold pressed there is no way a clash can have occurred.  Would I be correct?  

CM230122-124101008 (319x640).jpgCM230122-124115009 (319x640).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

One variety has a blocked die and the HALF reads as HAIF as we see in the bronze half pennies 

CM230122-125201010 (319x640).jpg

CM230122-125231011 (319x640).jpg

CM230122-125301012 (319x640).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

A third variety seems to have large lettering in the Legend with an older die under the new one the C of COUNTER is repeated in some and the R of COUNTER is doubled .  Another where the second  E in SOVEREIGN is struck over an R 

Edited by DrLarry

22 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Not as far as I am aware 

CM230122-124044007 (640x593).jpg

Sorry i ment lauer

38 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Sorry i ment lauer

I think because of the flaw on the O on SOVEREIGN some suggestion was made that the C made up of a broken O matches a similar one on the Lauer half SCOVEREIGN type ..but I believe off the top of my head the break or blockage is on the opposite side in the Lauer so this might be a red herring.  I have some of both types so I will take pictures tomorrow 

Edited by DrLarry

In the sample size I have 55 in total about one fifth are large lettering; 7 are small lettering 4 have large letters over small with the Additional R after COUNTER R #496a;  20 are gilt covered Brass 20 plus are silvered; 1 appears to be copper #497a   8 are HAIF's (unlisted) .  My notes suggest there may be a variety with a differing number of pearls on the crown but I think this is just damage to the die.  There is a large lettering type that has extra hair behind the bun usually the large letters are over the smaller ones.  Sorry my brain begins to collapse after looking at them too long LOL .  The majority of this mix I found from 40 in a small haul of them.  

CM230123-112000016 (601x640).jpg

CM230123-112009017 (319x640).jpg 

This type shows the additional R after COUNTER and the smaller letters below the recut large letters there is also interestingly additional hair behind the BUN    to my knowledge I have never found the original setting for the very small letters covered so perhaps it was a trial die that was reused.???

Edited by DrLarry

Small and large lettering types 

Edited by DrLarry

55 coins? I aint even got 1

would you like one? I only have them because I happened to find them all bundled together a few years back?  sometimes a find small bags full of a particular Lauer type and assume they are either distribution collections as often they are uncirculated or someone has collected them and used them for playing cards ?  I assume a bit like George III card counters 

Edited by DrLarry

19 hours ago, copper123 said:

just pm me your address if you do 

Very kind - I accept your offer - I will of course send you back something of about equal value

A pic up from the York coin fair this last weekend - almost certainly a Moore counter issued for use in schools which were starting to take off at this time due to a health interest in education in the 1850's

IMG_20230124_0003.jpg

29 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Very kind - I accept your offer - I will of course send you back something of about equal value

A pic up from the York coin fair this last weekend - almost certainly a Moore counter issued for use in schools which were starting to take off at this time due to a health interest in education in the 1850's

IMG_20230124_0003.jpg

What value is it?  It looks to be in lovely condition ....  I have the lower denominations but not the higher ones .....by Onions...Know Your Onions 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:56 PM, copper123 said:

your'e welcome as you say 55 is too many for one man to hold...I just wanted them so I might be able to work out the relative distribution of different types 

Edited by DrLarry