British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

31 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Even Rogers knew there were more than that - after all there were 100 copies of his book made , and they are pretty hard to find at this time.

I have wanted one for ages

Sorry copy how do you mean ?  numbers of Collectors? or number of this box?  I think Kai means the number of this box known.  Rogers had not seen one he marks it as RRR* ....my apologies I read in page 11 that he knew of about 500 collectors but in that he maybe referring to collectors of model coins which seem to be more highly regarded by general collectors as opposed to Toys he notes there are about a dozen large collections 

27 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

I find the instant gratification society difficult to process and it is my firm belief that many younger people are turning back to old ways in lots of aspects of their lives.  It starts with vinyl records now it is is cassettes and I think the same will happen with food as people become tired of processed food and instant meals.  

I think that is right. “Time preference” as the Austrians call it: we are hard wired to want more over less; which boils down to something today rather than tomorrow (we may not be here tomorrow) - unless we perceive what we might get tomorrow as more (better) than what we will get today.  

In collecting, waiting hopefully pays off (we may get more (better) in the end) but we all have a breaking point where optimism and patience gives way to opportunity and gratification. 

All this reflects the human condition. That will not change. But as the world becomes more virtual and instantaneous, I expect we  will attach evermore value to tangible relics and the long game … 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Even Rogers knew there were more than that - after all there were 100 copies of his book made , and they are pretty hard to find at this time.

I have wanted one for ages

Kai has one and I have one and the free online book updated by Thomas Engels has a large section on the overseas issues in English .  If you ever need a reference fr anything just ask away I cannot copy the text but I can be your remote eyes when you need it 

31 minutes ago, Menger said:

I think that is right. “Time preference” as the Austrians call it: we are hard wired to want more over less; which boils down to something today rather than tomorrow (we may not be here tomorrow) - unless we perceive what we might get tomorrow as more (better) than what we will get today.  

In collecting, waiting hopefully pays off (we may get more (better) in the end) but we all have a breaking point where optimism and patience gives way to opportunity and gratification. 

All this reflects the human condition. That will not change. But as the world becomes more virtual and instantaneous, I expect we  will attach evermore value to tangible relics and the long game … 

yes relics is a good word as it attaches something solid as well as having some kind human spirit attached , ingenuity, design as well as looser concepts like marketing and desire.  

The one thing with toy coins that forever fascinates me is how they survive, they are so small you would think they would just get lost. with cardboard coins the material is so transient that the rarity is down to simple disintegration of the product  It shocks me when I read Thomas's book or when David makes a donation to the charity when I give him cardboard coins  how much value is in them.  Children are not always the most diligent when playing either but perhaps kids were different in the 19th and  early to mid 20thC  

4 hours ago, Menger said:

For the same reason young people dont seem to value saving into a pension - lots will spend their old age regreting it

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

For the same reason young people dont seem to value saving into a pension - lots will spend their old age regreting it

Agreed. Unless there is step change in increased productivity caused by AI and they spend their twilight years in milk and honey.  

In this instance this particular item we have had for around three years, we just liked them and considered just keeping them, they are different and have never had this style of toy money before, and the tin made them interesting to us. We have never knowingly seen another tin like this for this manufacturer.
These actually came with quite a few other non related items.
We have neither added or subtracted any coins/items from the tin.
Unfortunately we cannot shed any other light on their previous history either.

I asked the seller what they knew of the history of the Cherub Stork set this ..above ..is their response.  

Ok now I have managed to take a good look the bxx contains 2 Sovereigns and one half Sov A Crown of the ron type which differs from a second type which seems either to have a different coating on or different composition more akin to a white metal ( found in a single )  ; the Four shillings also differs from another I have with the lettering for FOUR being closer together and over a sceptre cf. another which has the O of Four over the scepter. a Half Crown; 3 florins; 5 shillings; 5 half shillings and 4 pennies . These 24 coins fill the box nicely the higher silver and the half shillings all have variable amounts of coating  but no evidence of having been played with usually I can see waxy residue of grubby little fingers.  The shillings are all of the same die with a flaw running right through the portrait.  

The two sovereigns are not the typical DIAMOND JUBILEE  types on the reverse 

there is no three pence no half penny and no farthing .  The half crown in the full title  CROWN  #608 not the HALF >ROWN missing C type. The two shillings are #610a type with a gap after the date.  Rogers often  is quite precise if he has seen something like a die crack and he makes no mention of the shilling  #611 having a die crack from top to bottom , although he does have it for the half Crown it is most likely then this die pairing was used  (obv of #608) 

All the half shillings ( sixpences) are the same reverse showing the shading horizontal lin4es of the garter it would appear then to be #612 .  Pennies are #615  all of which show the sea below the lighthouse( sometimes missing ) and the linear circle starting at the P  and have a good amount of lustre  

Edited by DrLarry

This "set" has helped me identify some variation in the die pairings so has served a useful purpose.  I cannot say if it is a full set Rogers  " a box for this issue is known which lists the contents as £1 to 1/4 d  J R P King 1987 " He suggests " it is therefore clear that the different selections of denominations  were included at various times or in various containers" Rogers  page 75 Section 30 

• Like 1

Am I bidding against one of us for the little collection of toy coins on ebay finishing soon? I don't want to bid up if so 

14 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Am I bidding against one of us for the little collection of toy coins on ebay finishing soon? I don't want to bid up if so 

Not me - all yours if you want to go for it.

Kai

• Like 1

Thanks kai ,  I think the seller is bidding it up so I'm going to let it go. Although there are a couple of interesting ones there 

Edited by DrLarry

CM230429-174832001 (340x329).jpg

CM230429-175822004 (338x340).jpgCM230429-181906007 (334x340).jpg

CM230429-175903006 (340x169).jpg

CM230429-175843005 (169x340).jpg

CM230508-113522009 (324x340).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Thanks 1

In the box were two sov types 

CM230430-091327001 (337x340).jpgCM230430-091424003 (322x340).jpg

CM230430-091404002 (300x340).jpgCM230430-091554004 (340x339).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Thanks 1

I came across this 1889 10 mm miniature.  I assume gold and likely a Jewellers miniature some are mentioned in Rogers but they are not strictly toys 

CM230508-113259007 (319x340).jpgCM230508-113335008 (322x340).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

On 4/29/2023 at 9:48 AM, kai1998inc said:

Here is something that isn’t seen too often. This is part of a set that would have had 2 loops on the back and would’ve slid along wires (similarly to an abacus I guess). There are not many around, and even less with the loops still attached. 

Hoping to get my hands on some more in a few weeks, will update the thread when they come in.

I recently obtained an almost complete set of the Education Union series - just the Shilling outstanding, where I know of only 1 example. Photos to come in following posts.

• Like 2

20 Shillings (With Double Lug still in tact)

20 Shills Rev.jpg

20 Shills Obv.jpg

• Like 1

10 Shillings (double lug still intact)

10 Shills Obv.jpg

10 Shills Rev.jpg

• Like 1

Half Crown Obv

Half Crown Obv.jpg

• Like 1

Half Crown Rev (no double lug or solder marks, which is strange)

Half Crown Rev.jpg

Florin (no double lug and corroded, but I'll take what I can get!)

Florin Obv.jpg

Florin Rev.jpg

Sixpence (with double lug intact)

Sixence Obv.jpg

Sixpence Rev.jpg

Lastly, Penny (solder marks on rev.)

Penny Obv.jpg

Penny Rev.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:27 PM, kai1998inc said:

Lastly, Penny (solder marks on rev.)

Penny Obv.jpg