British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

12 hours ago, copper123 said:

I would imagine not for its full face value though

yes that is true it had less than face value 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 5:29 PM, kai1998inc said:

Those model pennies with the muled obverse are always a nice find. There is also a Moore Quarter Farthing with that obverse. I have attached images of my example.

Barter 39 Obv.jpg

Barter 39 Rev.jpg

I too have a Model mule and I think its in much nicer grade than yours Dr larry , I also have the penny as well !

IMG_20230306_0001.jpg

IMG_20230306_0002.jpg

This thread is turning into an essential read for model coin collectors

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

I too have a Model mule and I think its in much nicer grade than yours Dr larry , I also have the penny as well !

IMG_20230306_0001.jpg

IMG_20230306_0002.jpg

Wow, that is much nicer than my quarter farthing, I’m envious! 

• Like 1

This was a surprise find in a lot picked up in auction last week - same obverse die mentioned in last post but with model half dollar reverse. Rogers 2467.

Rogers 2467 Obv.jpg

Rogers 2467 Rev.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kai1998inc said:

This was a surprise find in a lot picked up in auction last week - same obverse die mentioned in last post but with model half dollar reverse. Rogers 2467.

Rogers 2467 Obv.jpg

Rogers 2467 Rev.jpg

fabulous yeah I think it is the same obverse I saw in Rogers a half dollar mentioned ...none of these were illustrated so I think we have taken some great steps forward this week...well done Kai 

apologies that one is illustrated but I think your example is better.  Don't sell it without asking me LOL  

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kai1998inc said:

Wow, that is much nicer than my quarter farthing, I’m envious! 

much nicer yes indeed....but you do go for quality more than I do LOL

Just now, DrLarry said:

fabulous yeah I think it is the same obverse I saw in Rogers a half dollar mentioned ...none of these were illustrated so I think we have taken some great steps forward this week...well done Kai 

And the same to you for all of your posts so far, this thread is becoming a really good read for any toy/model collector.

I have plenty more unlisted bits and bobs but I don’t want to give the entire book away before it’s written :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kai1998inc said:

And the same to you for all of your posts so far, this thread is becoming a really good read for any toy/model collector.

I have plenty more unlisted bits and bobs but I don’t want to give the entire book away before it’s written :) 

That's fine all in good time there is plenty to keep going on 

Here is something NEW it is 12mm and about 0.8 mm thick not iron and gilded the design is something completely new to me at least and from an artistic point of view I would rate it as pretty good , there is a minor error in the crafting of the far side eye but i'd give is 7 out of 10 for effort.  I Found it in Australia so it's still a little jet lagged having been flown over with a friend on Saturday.  The modelling of the George Dragon is nicely done no date but we can assume it was made post 1887 for some exhibition ???? a toy maker??  she weighs 0.9 gms 

CM230307-121545001 (327x340).jpgCM230307-121610003 (333x340).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

in fact I actually think the portrait is a much more realistic interpretation of an old lady 

3 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Here is something NEW it is 12mm and about 0.8 mm thick not iron and gilded the design is something completely new to me at least and from an artistic point of view I would rate it as pretty good , there is a minor error in the crafting of the far side eye but i'd give is 7 out of 10 for effort.  I Found it in Australia so it's still a little jet lagged having been flown over with a friend on Saturday.  The modelling of the George Dragon is nicely done no date but we can assume it was made post 1887 for some exhibition ???? a toy maker??  

CM230307-121545001 (327x340).jpgCM230307-121610003 (333x340).jpg

That is really nice, and completely new to me too. Would it be okay for me to save this entry for use in the book please? Images credited to you of course. 

30 minutes ago, kai1998inc said:

That is really nice, and completely new to me too. Would it be okay for me to save this entry for use in the book please? Images credited to you of course. 

yes of course I have said you can use whatever is needed to improve our knowledge 

14 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

yes of course I have said you can use whatever is needed to improve our knowledge 

Perfect, thank you! I really appreciate it

This one I think may also be new the design matches Rogers 751 but I dont yet have it but is 22mm compared with the 1.5 mentioned in Rogers and instead of 1909 it is dated 1907 there are others in the listing following #751 that are also 22mm with a reeded edge ndates 1908 and 19092 and 1911 certainly seems to fit into section 41 it is signed G O 

s-l1600 (12) (319x340).jpgs-l1600 (326x340).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

7 hours ago, DrLarry said:

much nicer yes indeed....but you do go for quality more than I do LOL

Well heres the penny- thats a nice one too......

IMG_20230307_0001.jpg

IMG_20230307_0002.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrLarry said:

This one I think may also be new the design matches Rogers 751 but I dont yet have it but is 22mm compared with the 1.5 mentioned in Rogers and instead of 1909 it is dated 1907 there are others in the listing following #751 that are also 22mm with a reeded edge ndates 1908 and 19092 and 1911 certainly seems to fit into section 41 it is signed G O 

s-l1600 (12) (319x340).jpgs-l1600 (326x340).jpg

Does not have the look of a lauer piece to me , only my opinion

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Does not have the look of a lauer piece to me , only my opinion

No it is not most definitely not it is a new one I found just thought I would list it it is by GO.  not sure who that might be but there is a section in Rogers which has many of these in but none so far for 1907

• Like 1

I will still keep going adding Lauer's and others there is a lot to say about the pennies in the series which show lots of variation.  But I have also started a thread on Counterfeit evasions and Cont Counterfeits as well.  

23 hours ago, copper123 said:

Well heres the penny- thats a nice one too......

IMG_20230307_0001.jpg

IMG_20230307_0002.jpg

I cannot help think that joseph moore also seemed to enjoy a bit of fun as well unlike that rather boreing institution the royal mint - there are dozens and dozens of mules and test coins which while rare in themselves are still quite cheap due to the low number of model coin collectors

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

I cannot help think that joseph moore also seemed to enjoy a bit of fun as well unlike that rather boreing institution the royal mint - there are dozens and dozens of mules and test coins which while rare in themselves are still quite cheap due to the low number of model coin collectors

yes he certainly seems to have been pretty innovative and yes I am surer he saw the potential earning power of novelty.  I dont know much about the man himself perhaps there are books about him and his motivation as there seem to be about a number of personalities involved in the coin production .  

• Like 1

I heard back from the Toy Museum in Nurnberg and the director has put me in touch with a researcher  who has written the core book in German.  There is no national Collection of toy coins in Germany.  One interesting thing that you may like to know is that the old BALMBERGER factory still exists and still has the factory titles still in place and it is now a cafe .  I will add the image of it tomorrow which was kindly sent to me.  

• Like 1

Balmberger-.jpg

they could do with a few samples inside they would not cost a lot and would be a great talking point with all visitors , I have always wanted to go to that part of germany even though it has a strong connection with the nazis , it just looks a pretty part of the country with all the castles,  etc .

balmberger-05th.jpg