British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I purchased the other day a second shilling Box similar to the one I showed earlier but there are a number of differences in the design Victorias head is slightly larger and the nose point directly to the R of VICTORIA and the date is positioned further to the right and  the hair curl behind the head is longer .  The reverse is also different the lettering being different.  So it would seem that there are two issues or one issue with two separate dies presumably cut slightly differently by engravers.  However there is also a big difference in the weight the previous one is a gram heavier.  I have however not been able to open the first and it may contain miniature tokens.  

the new one contained Moore's Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and  Prince alfred

corresponding to Rogers # 's 4060 and 4061 

Let me know anyone if you have one of these shilling Boxes.  

I cannot imagine these little boxes were much loved by either adult or child they are almost impossible to open once closed ...the frustration at receiving one on christmas day and trying one's best to get into the little bugger must have led to many being left in wasteland of forgotten toys 

David magnay was a big fan of model coins though it was not his only interest - I have a letter from him in the early eighties thanking me for discovering a couple of pieces he had never seen .

I am sure his collection was sold long ago.

I think I got his address out of coin monthly

On 1/2/2023 at 6:58 PM, DrLarry said:

Picture 1 of 2

Looks like that coin could do with a going over with a tooth pick

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

Looks like that coin could do with a going over with a tooth pick

yes indeed a softish one LOL

David magnay was a big fan of model coins though it was not his only interest - I have a letter from him in the early eighties thanking me for discovering a couple of pieces he had never seen .

Who was David Magnay?  obviously a collector I can tell that .... was he ever on the forum?  I am certain there are many things I do not know about collecting from the past I am a recent arrival.  I wonder what happens with these bigger collections  someone must still have parts of them.  I suspect that is why it is easier to donate them to Museums as Mr Rogers did

Oh wait I seem to recall references on the model coin section of Rogers referring to him 

2 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Oh wait I seem to recall references on the model coin section of Rogers referring to him 

Magnay, David Edgar (1942-2009)
Contributors to British Numismatics 24 July 2021
Biographical and Other Notes
Spent his early years in the UK and Singapore. Educated in Northumberland and
aged 18 joined Lloyd’s Bank in Southampton. In 1960 his interests changed from
stamps to coins. He moved all over the country with his job, rising to senior
manager of the Liverpool City centre branch and senior commercial manager in
Cardiff, living in Cowbridge. On being made redundant in the late 80s he founded
The Business Mortgage Company Ltd. from which he retired in 1998. He spent 37
years in the Territorial Army. He specialized in toy coins and model money,
Victorian pattern pennies (DNW February 1999) and helped D. Roger’s with his
book Toy Coins (1990) and D. Young and J.G. Scott’s book on imitation spade
guineas. Regular at Token Congress and many articles published.

• Like 2

thank you 

Here is an interesting one I found the other day , a strange odd looking attempt to replicate the model half sovereign.  I purchased it but it has not arrived yet so cannot look at in in detail  

Crude half Sov model.jpg

crude Half Sov  model 2.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

Here is an interesting one I found the other day , a strange odd looking attempt to replicate the model half sovereign.  I purchased it but it has not arrived yet so cannot look at in in detail  

Crude half Sov model.jpg

Looks to crude to be a lauer piece , but very interesting yes , I collect model half sovs as well .

32 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Looks to crude to be a lauer piece , but very interesting yes , I collect model half sovs as well .

yeah I thought you might like to look at it.  As you say very crude I would say a poor replica of the Prince of Wales type but I have not seen one with the gartered crest.  These ones were made by John Cooke and Son although sometimes Mr Rogers places things under a title and here they are placed alongside some of the Hanovers and Jacks used for playing card .  There is no mention in any of the entries for this one 

41 minutes ago, copper123 said:

although admittedly the portrait does tend to make her more like a VICTOR than a VICTORIA I am not sure yet if the last letters are almost missing or it is just the photo LOL  

Just back from holiday 5 days in fuertaventura (nice and hot) stayed in a hotel in morro jabale full of germans cannot stop saying Guten Morgen  all the time now, would have  loved  Basil Faulty to have been there it would have been a scream.

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

Just back from holiday 5 days in fuertaventura (nice and hot) stayed in a hotel in morro jabale full of germans cannot stop saying Guten Morgen  all the time now, would have  loved  Basil Faulty to have been there it would have been a scream.

lol

20 hours ago, DrLarry said:

Sovering? :huh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

yes do you know when I first saw it for sale  I was looking at that for about 5 minutes thinking what's wrong with that and my mind just would not calculate ....when you know something is wrong and your mind alters it LOL  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

it must be the currency in the land ruled by VICTOR 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

it must be the currency in the land ruled by VICTOR 

Thank god "Regina" is spelt right the mind boggles

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, copper123 said:

Thank god "Regina" is spelt right the mind boggles

yeah but funny it just arrived the I is missing and it says VICTOR   A REGINA   she has one hell of a nose on her 

15 hours ago, DrLarry said:

yeah but funny it just arrived the I is missing and it says VICTOR   A REGINA   she has one hell of a nose on her 

She's german not jewish

D and Co.  Drentwett & Co. whilst the Co. is English Rogers and others believe the company to be based in Nuremberg from the 1860's to 1923 I have one addition unlisted in Rogers and some variations which I will add later.  I know I am ignoring the elephant in the room at the present time by not focusing on British Lauer coins .  This is, in part, because they are quite well researched and the quantities are in sufficient numbers to allow us to find variations.

I will add the new example later of a Gothic head with a Sovereign reverse which is Gilt .  I am sure as Rogers says many new examples will be discovered and I am happy to have at least, found one. 

Heres an interesting To hanover counter dated 1862 with diferent sizes of datal figures one is masive and the other quite small - I imagine they were made by the same manufacturer.

IMG_20230117_0001.jpg

A Quarter sov

IMG_20230117_0006.jpg

IMG_20230117_0007.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

Heres an interesting To hanover counter dated 1862 with diferent sizes of datal figures one is masive and the other quite small - I imagine they were made by the same manufacturer.

IMG_20230117_0001.jpg

the image does not seem to have loaded