British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Looking through com listings on ebay I found

Item specifics

Item not identified as the wrong spelling fetched around £25 in postage , coin in nothing like the same grade as mine - I am sure it could have gone higher.

yes it is often the cost of postage from european sellers these days that puts me off buying, shame really 

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

The european lauer pieces are a never ending subject with new designs being found all the time - I would expect the german pieces to have been well reserched locally over many years but a lot of the others were probably made in low quantities and many were lost in the first and second world wars , I would have expected the richer economies of europe, ie, france and belgium and germany to have fallen for these coins very quickly others like portugal and spain might have been less profitable so were overlooked , they could also have been used as dolls house money for posh kids rather than family keepsakes like they were in the uk.

yes you would expect so but I can never find a great deal of information on them in any language.  I would the wars would have had a dramatic effect on the securing of such small whimsical coins.  I will try make it part of my own history to keep doing the research and adding to what is out there 

• Like 1

Interestingly this set I recently purchased of the Swiss Lauer Coins dated 1888 seem to have been provided in this small box.  All the coins appear to be compatible so I can only assume this box similar to the toleware box used for the oak and olive wreath coins was the original.  A swiss box similar to the "normal match box "type is known 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

set with box the 10 Francs was not seen by Rogers although it is of course listed 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

I have been thinking that it is most unlikely that an update of Rogers will be made (especially at a cost of £125), so I would think that the best thing would be to create a website and enter the modern world.  It would allow the coins to be seen at their best, with the  the best will in the world small black and white images really dont show off the beauty of some of these little characters.  So perhaps that is the way forward. 

• Like 1

Rogers book is sadly missing from my collection I really would love a copy and it keeps its value when you want to sell it on .

I would agree a website would be best , but it's working out that it does not leave you out of pocket thats the hard thing

On 12/17/2022 at 9:41 AM, DrLarry said:

CM.2438-2003

CM_2438_2003_281_29.jpg

CM_2438_2003_282_29.jpg

Hold on there is a missing "F" in def there isn't there?

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Hold on there is a missing "F" in def there isn't there?

yes there is ....usually when such things get reported no one takes much notice LOL....even half pennies with letters missing attract no one iota of interest LOL 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Rogers book is sadly missing from my collection I really would love a copy and it keeps its value when you want to sell it on .

I would agree a website would be best , but it's working out that it does not leave you out of pocket thats the hard thing

Oh well it's nice to leave something useful 

Better than a fadeing memory and at least its  a permanant legacy so even better than most manage to leave

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

Better than a fadeing memory and at least its  a permanant legacy so even better than most manage to leave

the problem with leaving a collection of coins is that you have to work for years ahead to write all the notes so that some unscrupulous collector lies and cheats because let's face it 99% of the time only 1% know the difference between an open 3 or an N over Z or an B over an R.  I have tried to find someone on the charity to teach but no one is interested so the only thing is to write a lot 

15 hours ago, DrLarry said:

the problem with leaving a collection of coins is that you have to work for years ahead to write all the notes so that some unscrupulous collector lies and cheats because let's face it 99% of the time only 1% know the difference between an open 3 or an N over Z or an B over an R.  I have tried to find someone on the charity to teach but no one is interested so the only thing is to write a lot 

and thank goodness you do

Oh I found one of those 1830 QUEN cumberberlands reasonable but yours is of much higher quality .  I think the Lauer is there below the bust but it has not arrived yet 

s-l1600 (1) 1.jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 7:29 PM, copper123 said:

Other side of the to hanover counter - It's a generic design common to most of these coins but insted of being dated 1837 it's dated 1830 so a bit different

IMG_20221220_0001.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I did wonder if the dates are the same size 

Edited by DrLarry

21 hours ago, DrLarry said:

Oh I found one of those 1830 QUEN cumberberlands reasonable but yours is of much higher quality .  I think the Lauer is there below the bust but it has not arrived yet 

s-l1600 (1) 1.jpg

You can always upgrade in the future - I am sure the Lauer will be there

I somhow suspect that the lauer family were coin producers for quite a while the original father passing his knowlage on to his son etc .

The early lauer coin were counters till about the year 1870 "To hanover" etc ,when the younger son took over he also had new coin producing machines that produced smaller and  unusual coins never produced b4, that caught the imagination of the public all over europe , these are the most common pieces found today

If you think about it this forum will also be a legacy for coin collectors (as long as it's kept going) it would be nice to have a forum on model coins but the number of fans is limited so  it might never happen, this is the nearest we might get.

On 12/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, copper123 said:

I somhow suspect that the lauer family were coin producers for quite a while the original father passing his knowlage on to his son etc .

The early lauer coin were counters till about the year 1870 "To hanover" etc ,when the younger son took over he also had new coin producing machines that produced smaller and  unusual coins never produced b4, that caught the imagination of the public all over europe , these are the most common pieces found today

If you think about it this forum will also be a legacy for coin collectors (as long as it's kept going) it would be nice to have a forum on model coins but the number of fans is limited so  it might never happen, this is the nearest we might get.

yes I am not sure of the longevity of any internet sites I suppose what is needed is for one of the toy museums like the one in bethnal Green to find them interesting and keep things alive.  The collection at the Fitzwilliam in cambridge I am certain is just part of millions of pieces they own collected by Victorian Naturalists and that "collecting mode" went on into the 20th C .  It does surprise me that I cannot find many references to them in any German Museums, but I confess to have not been trying too hard.  Wikipedia would be the est option as it is the "go to " place for everyone for everything and allows people to add to it which would be nice. so i may investigate that option   

On 12/24/2022 at 7:26 PM, copper123 said:

You can always upgrade in the future - I am sure the Lauer will be there

It just arrived and no it is not there I have taken some pics and even with the token angled there is no trace of the Lauer.  Another anomaly ....makes t all the more interesting when we start talking to each other all the new things that come through .  I love collecting "normal" coins for the joy of the history for each year but when a topic is under researched it opens new interests for me.  The scientist in me starts looking for answers.  

CM221229-121028001 (264x300).jpgCM221229-121042002 (224x300).jpgCM221229-121103003 (149x300).jpg

CM221229-121641004 (149x300).jpgangled shot reflected light 

Edited by DrLarry

even taking into account the possibility of corrosion it would seem pretty unusual for Lauer not to self promote .  He was even clever enough to translate the name Lauer into demotic greek on the lauer toy 5 drachma ....I can see no remnant of a signature at all even under pretty high magnification.

I also just received a tiny 8 mm model quarter dollar how some of these things survived god only knows they must have been so easily lost down the side of a draw or thrown away .  perhaps that explains it self then they get shoved into some box mixed up and someone finds a box of mixed up "coins"

CM221229-122420005 (251x300).jpgCM221229-122443007 (259x300).jpg

Rogers  # 2466 reported at 9mm but there is a question mark over the size as he had never seen one so more likely an error in reporting RRR*  no image in Rogers with the entry ( unless my calipers are wrong the dog ate them the other day ) !!!!!!

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DrLarry said:

I also just received a tiny 8 mm model quarter dollar how some of these things survived god only knows they must have been so easily lost down the side of a draw or thrown away .  perhaps that explains it self then they get shoved into some box mixed up and someone finds a box of mixed up "coins"

CM221229-122420005 (251x300).jpgCM221229-122443007 (259x300).jpg

Rogers  # 2466 reported at 9mm but there is a question mark over the size as he had never seen one so more likely an error in reporting RRR*  no image in Rogers with the entry ( unless my calipers are wrong the dog ate them the other day ) !!!!!!

Totally lovely coin I also saw that on ebay and don't quite understand why these dont end up selling for hundreds of dollars in the states - everything to do with this period is avidly collected in the usa and fetches big money , why not this coin - their loss i surpose.

7 hours ago, DrLarry said:

even taking into account the possibility of corrosion it would seem pretty unusual for Lauer not to self promote .  He was even clever enough to translate the name Lauer into demotic greek on the lauer toy 5 drachma ....I can see no remnant of a signature at all even under pretty high magnification.

Remember this was an early piece from 1845-55 at a guess but it does seem strange yes - at least we have at least three varieties to go on now , I now have to search down one without "Lauer" and also one with Queen on the obverse.

Remember this was an early piece from 1845-55 at a guess but it does seem strange yes - at least we have at least three varieties to go on now , I now have to search down one without "Lauer" and also one with Queen on the obverse.

LOL  well as you say at least we know of some variety LOL  it's like a good game you mention it I find it then I find something strange you too ....  I was never good at tennis ..always hit the ball too hard.  Squash maybe 

Totally lovely coin I also saw that on ebay and don't quite understand why these dont end up selling for hundreds of dollars in the states - everything to do with this period is avidly collected in the usa and fetches big money , why not this coin - their loss i surpose.

yeah but when it arrived even I was shocked how small it was.  True they love anything with an eagle on it .....  Let me know if you bid on another if it comes up I would hate to own 2 

• Like 1